PieMenu (v2.0)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ifohancroft

Re: PieMenu (v2.0)

Post by ifohancroft »

I love PieMenu but I have a couple of feature suggestions/requests/gripes with it in its current state:

0. I couldn't find a manual about it anywhere.

1. I often have to press the Preferences button twice in order for the preferences to show (I click the Preferences button and the whole menu hides and nothing shows up so I have to press Tab again and do the whole procedure again).

2. The Context option is a bit too ambiguous: I.e. I still have no idea how to use it/what it does. I expected that it will show different buttons depending on the workbench I have active.

3. Even if you enable the Context option via the tab pie menu arrow down context, it is still not enabled in Preferences and vice versa: Even if it's enabled in preferences, it is still not enabled in the arrow down context menu.

4. I just found out that you can hide the PieMenu by left or right clicking somewhere on the screen (this often does not work).

5. The way it currently works, selecting either a PieMenu configuration or a toolbar is too ambiguous. I accidentally selected a toolbar and had no idea I have to select a PieMenu configuration in order to get my buttons back as they are in two different menus. I was going to uninstall and reinstall the addon and look for any config files of it to remove in order to fix this. It should be one menu with sub-menus. I.e. Buttons to show: 1. PieMenu config. 2. Toolbars: 2.1. Part Design, 2.2. Sketcher etc..

6. When you have just the Default config, the '-' button next to it is still clickable and pressing it resets your button configuration (I like the idea but it should be a separate button somewhere else in the window. The '-' should be unclickable when you have just one configuration).

7. You can't rename the Default configuration

8. When you create a new button configuration, besides Default, there is no '-' button next to it, so you can't remove it (haven't tried if I add buttons to that configuration), however, on the other hand, if you restart FreeCAD, the new button configuration is no longer there (again, haven't tried if this would still happen if I add buttons to the configuration).

9. When you invoke PieMenu you should only see the buttons you configured. The X should dissapear and PieMenu should close when you left click somewhere. The Arrow Down menu should show when you right click somewhere.

10. We should be able to assign numbers to the buttons we configure so if we configured the buttons to open up different workbenches and let's say our first is PartDesign we should be able to do Tab, 1 to open up PartDesign

11. We should be able to have nested buttons and configure if the buttons that have childs are clickable themselves. For example, I can then configure a PartDesign button that when clicked sends me to the PartDesign workbench but on the second invokation of PieMenu, I can now see the buttons configured as childs of the PartDesign button (Different operations from the PartDesign workbench for example).

I am sure I am missing something but this is all that I can remember for now.

It has been installed via the AddonManager, on FreeCAD 0.18 AppImage on Linux (Manjaro x86_64):

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16146 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.4)
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

ifohancroft wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 am I love PieMenu
Good to hear that.
but
A lot of your suggestions is already on the to-do list:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 08#p237328

As for the context functionality. Make sure you have enabled the global context switch in the menu and have enabled and set some rules for the individual PieMenu in the preferences. Lets say you have set 2 lines in the preferences, select two lines in the 3D view and that should pop-up that PieMenu.

P.S. As for the future, best to install the CommandPanel module and explore its preferences, PieMenu will basically work in the same way.
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

triplus wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:36 am
ifohancroft wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 am I love PieMenu
Good to hear that.
but
A lot of your suggestions is already on the to-do list:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 08#p237328

As for the context functionality. Make sure you have enabled the global context switch in the menu and have enabled and set some rules for the individual PieMenu in the preferences. Lets say you have set 2 lines in the preferences, select two lines in the 3D view and that should pop-up that PieMenu.

P.S. As for the future, best to install the CommandPanel module and explore its preferences, PieMenu will basically work in the same way.
Thanks! Not sure how I missed that.

Ah! I see. I get now the idea of the contaxt functionality.

As for the CommandPanel if I am understanding this right, are you saying it has some functionality that is planned for the PieMenu?
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

ifohancroft wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:36 pm Thanks! Not sure how I missed that.
You're welcome. Enabling the global context switch by default is on the todo list. As some people already complained in the past. On how much people actually use this functionality i don't know. There was not much feedback provided in the past about it.
As for the CommandPanel if I am understanding this right, are you saying it has some functionality that is planned for the PieMenu?
Yes, basically the back-end, simple API to pre-define pie menus by developers ... and in your case the Preferences. All this functionality will get reused in PieMenu module. You can therefore take a look in the Preferences of the CommandPanel module, as this is how the Preferences will work for PieMenu module in the future.
mmiscool

Post by mmiscool »

Hello,

I have been working on making a package of FreeCAD that can be accessed via a web browser.

I installed this add on in the latest version 18 and it works fine on a regular computer. Unfortunately it dose not seem to work when viewed using x11vnc. The whole screen goes black and only the menu shows.
Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 6.34.48 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 6.34.48 AM.png (68.81 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Is there any thing special that is going on to overlay this over the main window or is it all vanilla QT type stuff?

I really do enjoy this tool by the way. In siemens NX there is a similar feature that pops up a small tool bar next to the cursor when you click on some thing offering context aware listing of commands that can be executed. I really enjoyed that functionality in NX.
My main project is https://autodrop3d.com
Effort on https://github.com/mmiscool/FC-Docker FreeCAD for cloud with browser based access has been discontinued in favor of focused development on https://github.com/xibyte/jsketcher
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Likely transparency/GPU drivers related issue. In January the back-end of PieMenu (v2.0) will likely be ported from the CommandPanel module, been doing that for a couple of days already. After i will focus on the front-end and there will need to be an option, that supports desktop environments without compositor. That option will likely work in your use case too. There is already some of that available in current version, but at the time it was developed, Q5 was not a thing yet, things on the front-end side will therefore get revised.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

triplus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:03 pm ...PieMenu ...
Great feature, thank you :D
JFYI maybe there is a little trouble with PieMenu and the Property comboview, I mean I usualy press TAB key to swap from a property field to the next one, but now TAB key launch Piemenu, even when you are editing property values. Could you please make Piemenu active in 3D view only?

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.18.16028 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9079de7516eca945587e18f6076ec74eb7bd043c
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

Sorry, old release because of 32BIT OS, but the above trouble also occures with 0.19 release I guess.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

-alex- wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:45 pm Great feature, thank you :D
You're welcome.
JFYI maybe there is a little trouble with PieMenu and the Property comboview, I mean I usualy press TAB key to swap from a property field to the next one, but now TAB key launch Piemenu, even when you are editing property values. Could you please make Piemenu active in 3D view only?
Yes, this was already reported in the past and it is on the todo list. It comes down to using a different shortcut key combination to invoke PieMenu. The plan is to use Q key, but maybe it will be behind a modifier key by default. Anyway, if you want to change the current default invoke key combination, you can use the ShortCuts module and set a custom key combination there.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

triplus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:35 am it is on the todo list.
Ahh ok, thanks for your reply and sorry for the noise.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

PieBackEnd.png
PieBackEnd.png (83.08 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Updating to the latest revision should add Accessories -> Pie menu entry to the global menu. This brings the back end logic and the preferences panel from the command panel module to pie menu. Current front and back end will continue to work as is, not affected by this change. Feel free to press on everything and try to figure out things like on how to create and set a new global or workbench specific (sub) menu, to add commands to it, set is as default, rename it, delete it, export commands from the toolbar to a menu, reset the work done ...

P.S. Feedback appreciated, especially if something doesn't work as expected. Should be Py2/Py3/Qt4/Qt5 compatible. As for the font end, i can't promise to start working on it before March, as when the free time allows, a few other FreeCAD related things are currently higher on the priority list.