PieMenu (v2.0)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: PieMenu (v2.0)

Post by Kunda1 »

@triplus thank you for the reply. Again, very exciting. I look forward to see this catch on in a more uniform way. Nice!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@triplus here is an example of what I mean. Maybe you can demonstrate PieMenu to me in this context:
Willem wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:00 pm Working with Datum point, Datum line and Datum plane can be the solution
phpBB [video]
In the beginning of the clip till the end @Willem navigates several times to the following toolbars: Sketcher Geometries and Sketcher Constraints
How would he use PieMenu to make his workflow more effective ?

Edit: refinements
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

PieMenu is a launcher for commands. The same as toolbars, command panel, Launcher ... Each has its pros and cons and is more or less suitable for some specific use case. As for PieMenu i plan to add more detailed documentation once the coding related work will be done. For now and as for your question. What you can do is to first install PieMenu. After go in Sketcher edit mode and in PieMenu QuickMenu select one of the toolbars:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p130407

For example Sketcher geometries. This should be the quickest way to start creating sketcher geometry with PieMenu. After i guess try it out and see how it goes.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

@triplus, how is going version 2 development?
Any idea when we will be able to try a beta?

Thanks
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

2 new issues:
Choosing Arch toolbar in preferences loads all the icons in to piemenu and overloads the UI: https://github.com/triplus/PieMenu/issues/5
Invoking PieMenu in a certain condition displays 2 PieMenus glitch: https://github.com/triplus/PieMenu/issues/6
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:28 pm @triplus, how is going version 2 development?
Any idea when we will be able to try a beta?

Thanks
Hi Pablo.

Likely command panel will be fully released before November. And after PieMenu will become the main focus. I tried to work on both of them in parallel. In the past few weeks. But the overall result was less. Therefore in this finalizing stages it is best if i work on one at a time.
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:21 pm Choosing Arch toolbar in preferences loads all the icons in to piemenu and overloads the UI
Turning toolbar in PieMenu is just a convenience feature (to get quick results). Not much that can be done here if the toolbar has large amount of commands. I will close the issue report once some of the (seemingly) related tasks from the development plan get done.
Invoking PieMenu in a certain condition displays 2 PieMenus glitch
Will look into this.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:53 am
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:21 pm Choosing Arch toolbar in preferences loads all the icons in to piemenu and overloads the UI
Turning toolbar in PieMenu is just a convenience feature (to get quick results). Not much that can be done here if the toolbar has large amount of commands. I will close the issue report once some of the (seemingly) related tasks from the development plan get done.
What about putting any overflow in to a 2nd and 3rd row?
Invoking PieMenu in a certain condition displays 2 PieMenus glitch
triplus wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:53 am Will look into this.
thanks!

Have you ever used Krita's pop-up palette ? It has this feature that you can tag certain brushes and then you can invoke them while the dialog is open. This might be a good way to shortcut opening custom toolbars quickly with less clicks? Should I open a feature request ?
https://docs.krita.org/fr/user_manual/g ... up-palette
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:48 am What about putting any overflow in to a 2nd and 3rd row?
In early days of PieMenu development this was discussed and it was established end users don't want this. If you want more commands in some invokable container and support for things like rows. Try out command panel. It already support the invoke option (and it will improve in the future). Basically you can have a whole lot of commands in it. And things are still manageable. In PieMenu single row and around 8 commands for individual PieMenu is optimal and desired.
Have you ever used Krita's pop-up palette ? It has this feature that you can tag certain brushes and then you can invoke them while the dialog is open. This might be a good way to shortcut opening custom toolbars quickly with less clicks? Should I open a feature request ?
No. I don't plan to implement something like that. If you look at the development plan the subsequential button is what was established it is currently missing. And therefore i will add that. Anyway you are asking a lot of question already discussed in the other thread in the past. Nothing wrong with that but at this point i don't feel spending much time on such discussions again is worth it. If you are interested on what already happened read the previous thread. As for the future it makes more sense to provide feedback when something from the development plan gets released.

P.S. In short if when using toolbar as a source is producing too much buttons. Open the Preferences and define some custom PieMenus with less buttons. And use them instead. Note that once workbench developers will be able to define such PieMenus up front (part of the development plan). End users shouldn't need to use the Toolbar option as a source to get quick results anymore. As defaults should do. And if defaults won't do as said customize as much as you like. That already is possible.
Last edited by triplus on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:10 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:48 am What about putting any overflow in to a 2nd and 3rd row?
In early days of PieMenu development this was discussed and it was established end users don't want this. If you want more commands in some invokable container and support for things like rows. Try out command panel. It already support the invoke option (and it will improve in the future). Basically you can have a whole lot of commands in it. And things are still manageable. In PieMenu single row and around 8 commands for individual PieMenu is optimal and desired.
I see. Wasn't aware of that discussion. Thanks for explaining.
triplus wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:10 pm
Anyway you are asking a lot of question already discussed in the other thread in the past. Nothing wrong with that but at this point i don't feel spending much time on such discussions again is worth it. If you are interested on what already happened read the previous thread. As for the future it makes more sense to provide feedback when something from the development plan gets released.
Yea, I see. What I'm seeking is features that are spread across 3 different utilities that you've graciously created. I'm still trying to get it straight and organized in my head where it seems like for you it is all very clear. Thank you again for you time.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Basically documentation is missing. And therefore for now new end users can look for clues in what was already discussed. And i guess by trying it out and to see how it goes. For you therefore the next step is to try and figure it out on how to build and use a custom PieMenu.

P.S. Documentation will be made (after the coding related work will be done).