Useful Icon Challenge: Image wb

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Useful Icon Challenge: Image wb

Post by NormandC »

Here's a design challenge,if anybody wants to help the project. ;)

For years, the two existing tools in the Image Workbench have had the same icon.

FC_Image_wb_toolbar_01.png
FC_Image_wb_toolbar_01.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

The first one is "Open image view": basically it opens a raster image, and the 3D view is replaced with an image viewer.

The second one is "Create a planar image in the 3D space", and is the most useful tool in this workbench: it maps a raster image on a re-sizable plane that can be placed anywhere in the 3D space. It can serve to bring an image and trace over it.

I think we can agree that neither of them convey their purpose well...

So, is anyone willing to give it a shot? It also would be preferable to follow the guidelines that agryson established when he redid the whole icon set for 0.17.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Useful Icon Challenge: Image wb

Post by triplus »

As you talk about this two (now i guess iconic) icons once per year. I guess best to follow your lead:

Yawn. ;)

P.S. As for potential participating designers. That actually plan to do some work and propose something for evaluation (like seen in the mentioned logo design challenge thread). Good luck.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Yep, and after years of mentioning it, nobody's tackled them yet.

Which to me proves that all those people who eagerly try to create a new FC logo are not in it to actually help the FreeCAD project, but for their own "glory" or whatever. Because who wants to put in work into an obscure icon deep down in the GUI when they can create the new logo that the whole world will see and admire. Right, triplus? :roll:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:29 pm Right, triplus? :roll:
No. I don't see it that way. That was my point.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Whatever. Of course you won't agree. You're one of those who tried to "win" a "challenge". :D
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

Guys lets have a more constructive discussion. I made an attempt years ago, but obvisiouly those where not appropriate for a CAD-package, as I presumed from the reaction: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6090

Ulrich
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:30 pm Whatever. Of course you won't agree. You're one of those who tried to "win" a "challenge". :D
Yes. I did participated in the logo design challenge in the past with my own proposal. It was rewarding experience. And that is why i had to disagree with your claims:
NormandC wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:29 pm Which to me proves that all those people who eagerly try to create a new FC logo are not in it to actually help the FreeCAD project, but for their own "glory" or whatever. Because who wants to put in work into an obscure icon deep down in the GUI when they can create the new logo that the whole world will see and admire.
As in addition i participated in current logo design evolution that happened. That too was rewarding experience. I have contributed some icon design that was upstreamed (in times that was not all that easy to do as some felt they have exclusive rights over that) and have developed the IconThemes module for FreeCAD ... For other icon designers being able to share their icon design work with FreeCAD end users. I know the importance of other people being able to do the same if they feel the need.
ulrich1a wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:40 pm Guys lets have a more constructive discussion. I made an attempt years ago, but obvisiouly those where not appropriate for a CAD-package, as I presumed from the reaction: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6090

Ulrich
Works for me. And i guess therefore claims on how nobody tried to tackle this in the past aren't as accurate. I remember at least one more attempt. Anyway i won't participate in this icon challenge further for now. As the title says this design challenge is more useful compared to other design challenges. Will therefore let others (that see it like that) to take the win.
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

There is also a very nice macro related to image manipulation: FCBmpImport. This macro is worth being integrated in the image workbench, according to me, but it still doesn't have an icon...
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

I would had liked to add the Macro Image Scale to the Image WB... it came out it is not so straight forward...
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28759

Anyway, some possible icons arranged from FC ArtWork:
Image_Load.svg
(16.36 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Image_Load.png
Image_Load.png (5.36 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Image_Load_to_Plane_2.svg
(21.65 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Image_Load_to_Plane_2.png
Image_Load_to_Plane_2.png (4.69 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
and the Icon for the Macro
Image_Scale_v3.svg
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

General considerations:
- Icons for images are often shown as flowers (like above) or as a contour of a person.
- The difference between the two functions represented by the icons are the different usecases. So I would vote for two similar icons, but one of them having at one half a red trace.

There is another possibility: I haven't seen the usage of the left icon. So this could be moved to the menu leaving only one icon. To make that unique should be easy.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.