FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by triplus »

Hi all, i am dropping a line here and lets see if something interesting will come out of it. We had a bit of discussion here already:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3426

Basically, on an infrastructural level, we currently use a lot of services and most of them offer some sort of "FOSS sponsorship or support". It would be nice to have a (top level) menu entry and a dedicated page mentioning them, somewhere on the home page.

Anybody prepared to tackle this?
engdham

Post by engdham »

Hello,

I can't see the "Download" button on the website anymore.

To download a Freecad release, I had to go to github.

I do not know if this was intended, but I suppose it may confuse newcomers.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

engdham wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:51 pm I can't see the "Download" button on the website anymore.
Here it's still in the top line between "Features" and "Documentation". Perhaps a browser caching issue?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
engdham

Post by engdham »

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:14 pm
engdham wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:51 pm I can't see the "Download" button on the website anymore.
Here it's still in the top line between "Features" and "Documentation". Perhaps a browser caching issue?
Hello, chrisb,

I can confirm that on my home computer (Ubuntu 20.04, Firefox 80) indeed both the download button beside "See what's new" and the top one are visible.

I can't say by memory if the one in the top was present on my work machine (Windows 10 64b, Firefox 80, I believe) but I didn't notice, but the lower one surely wasn't there. Maybe it's a cache problem, I'll check next week if no one else report this. Thank you, best regards.

Edit: I can confirm that the issue is isolated, only my work computer is affected, while using Firefox. Chromium based Edge and Brave browsers are working without issues. Firefox do work on other computers on the same network.
KFMadsen

Post by KFMadsen »

Hello Freecad Forum,
I have a suggestion to the FreeCAD Website Design if it at some point should be renewed.

Basically I think the website is great, but being a fan of the FreeCAD forum topic "From FreeCAD to the Real World" my suggestion is that there should be a picture somewhere of a real life project/object alongside with the beautiful Freecad drawings already there. After all - in my view - one of the objectives/aims of Freecad should be that it is possible to make real life projects/objects using the FreeCAD drawings.

Perhaps, something like showing the original Freecad drawing firstly, then, secondly, the techdraw drawing and then finally the object/project in real life - after each other to show the whole process. (and perhaps even more steps included - FEM or Path examples also).

Just a small idea, and hope could help in the development of Freecad.

Kindly, KFMadsen