FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AR795

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by AR795 »

regis wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:47 pm
;) there is a first for everything.
Yes, there always is a first time.
triplus wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm
The truth is in the past few years we had a few discussions. On how a designer would be needed. And not a coder. Therefore i guess best if you focus on the design aspect for now. And after we can figure out on how to port your work into a web page.
As time permits, I will continue to work on the design.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

Here's another variation.
Attachments
freecad_home_page_design_3.jpg
freecad_home_page_design_3.jpg (854.25 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
regis

Post by regis »

AR795 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 pm Here's another variation.
Nice now we are starting to talk buisness. Starting to have an appeal. For now I like the metal gear. What does a light blue or dark blue for the gear look like since freecad gear is blue in color?
I also like the left to gradient of the dark marine blue to the light blue. This helps make the gear standout better.
I'll observe more on the page and make further comments as it comes. But it's making a bit more sense what you are trying out. Let's push it till the end and see what the final result will look like.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

I would like some spectacular image from a FreeCAD project rather than the gear render, at the top of the webpage. As background image.
Maybe you can use some screenshot from here
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29354
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27878
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bitacovir wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 pm Maybe you can use some screenshot from here
Yes, ppemawm's models are always spectacular.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

AR795 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 pm Here's another variation.
Ok, this is seriously the next step. I like this one a lot.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
AR795

Post by AR795 »

regis wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm
What does a light blue or dark blue for the gear look like since freecad gear is blue in color?
I will give it a try, but I believe this will make the scene overly-blue since blue is already a very prominent color in the design.
bitacovir wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 pm
I would like some spectacular image from a FreeCAD project rather than the gear render, at the top of the webpage. As background image.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29354
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27878
I did try those screenshots and many others as well for the cover photo, they are all excellent work, however with the current design screenshots don't blend well as cover photos with the background. What I had in mind was a photo-realistic rendering of some FreeCAD project. I did search the forum, but (correct me if I am wrong) there are very few renderings of this type. The closest I was able to find was this image:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 39#p165463

But I wasn't able to integrate it successfully with the design. So I decided that a custom rendered image was necessary, one that can blend seamlessly with the design, and I rendered an image of the gear and included it.

I will try add the screenshot and update the design to see.
regis

Post by regis »

AR795 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm I will give it a try, but I believe this will make the scene overly-blue since blue is already a very prominent color in the design.
Perhaps you are right :D ,
maybe it's just my thinking, since we are talking about an experiment,
I see every step forward as a unique move that can branch out in every direction,
So I find it is highly worth it to see a couple varieties of shades, colour combinations, etc
and who knows ;) maybe we'll begin to spot the trail of the hidden treasure we are after.
AR795 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm I did try those screenshots and many others as well for the cover photo, they are all excellent work, however with the current design screenshots don't blend well as cover photos with the background. What I had in mind was a photo-realistic rendering of some FreeCAD project. I did search the forum, but (correct me if I am wrong) there are very few renderings of this type. The closest I was able to find was this image:
Most points made here are also an excellent opportunity for design challenge, and also reminded me of the fact that free-cad lacks the ability to take pictures with a transparent background. In the Tool -> Save Picture -> Extend -> Image property Background -> Transparent. This will be great for isolating everything in the background cloud colour. Currently it still takes them with a black rendered overlay.
chrisb wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 pm Yes, ppemawm's models are always spectacular.
I really think we should have a bank of priceless screenshots of all the great projects, The volume of Freecad's master projects have dramatically improved and increased alot. Freecad community can be proud of that.
bitacovir wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 pm I would like some spectacular image from a FreeCAD project rather than the gear render, at the top of the webpage. As background image.
This also a great idea to expose the magestic projects accomplished indeed and persuades any new incomer 'right on the spot' of the seriousness that Freecad can acheive. Indeed.
We can play with the gear in different ways, for example, a smaller size of the gear perhaps, and used it as strategic icons for example, in a situation of bullet points in a certain page of the website (just throwing and Idea out there,) but there can be many other ways of playing with it. Let's not discard that idea right now.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

AR795 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm
I did try those screenshots and many others as well for the cover photo, they are all excellent work, however with the current design screenshots don't blend well as cover photos with the background.
Maybe you could ask @ppemawm for one of his designs. Then you can manipulate the view, colors, etc. to generate a nice screenshot. Or maybe someone with skills can use this file to generate a render... (and of course the publication would be attributed to him).
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

Looks very good..
but remember.. a visitor might see all the spectacular designs... and decide: looks too complicated.....

so...having simplicity like the single gear on the page too..is not a bad idea from my point of view
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/