FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by DeepSOIC »

FreeCAD's website is one of the very few where menus work on touchscreen. Please try to not break that. On about 80% of websites around, menus rely on hovering cursor, which is unavailable on touchscreen.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

AR795 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 pm Ah yes, I forgot to mention about the color gradients I used. I have attached a diagram to help better understand what I mean. Well my plan was to make complete use of colors in a color wheel, going clockwise from cyan color and back. As you can see each section has a gradient and starting from the top left the gradient moves in a zigzag manner top to bottom covering the entire color wheel.

Having one or two main colors for the background can also work and I will create a version with more simpler backgrounds later to see how it fits together.
Please use a few (basic) colors it's not a disco!!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Exciting!
regis

Post by regis »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:49 pm FreeCAD's website is one of the very few where menus work on touchscreen. Please try to not break that. On about 80% of websites around, menus rely on hovering cursor, which is unavailable on touchscreen.
Although you have a great point here, and I would agree with you, I'm a bit lost as to what you mean exactly? how can someone break menus on touchscreens?
AR795 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 pm Ah yes, I forgot to mention about the color gradients I used. I have attached a diagram to help better understand what I mean. Well my plan was to make complete use of colors in a color wheel, going clockwise from cyan color and back. As you can see each section has a gradient and starting from the top left the gradient moves in a zigzag manner top to bottom covering the entire color wheel.

Having one or two main colors for the background can also work and I will create a version with more simpler backgrounds later to see how it fits together.
:D Although i'm not trying to make fun of
complete use of colors in a color wheel
I must still admit that I saw a Rainbow coloured website and that image was pretty amusing. But i'm sure there is more to your direction. I'm excited and curious as to what some samples variations of your website might look like.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

The colors used in this mock-up design serve as a useful reference point. If I was trying to create a design for myself, I would have picked a few colors and proceeded with the design. Since I am creating a mock-up design for people to see, I put in extra effort to try different color variations to get feedback on what works and what doesn't. And its not the first time I have presented different color variations, in my previous logo designs, I have tried as many color variations I could think of for people to see and decide. That doesn't mean every color must be included. Well if color variations are not required, then it would make it much more simpler for me. Frankly I was more concerned about the layout and content.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @AR795

I like your proposals. As for fine tuning the colors and artwork strategy i agree with your observations.

P.S. Do you have any experience turning such design in an actual web page?
AR795

Post by AR795 »

triplus wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 pm
No, I don't have experience creating web pages.
regis

Post by regis »

AR795 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:46 am
triplus wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 pm
No, I don't have experience creating web pages.
;) there is a first for everything.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

AR795 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:46 am No, I don't have experience creating web pages.
The truth is in the past few years we had a few discussions. On how a designer would be needed. And not a coder. Therefore i guess best if you focus on the design aspect for now. And after we can figure out on how to port your work into a web page.
regis

Post by regis »

triplus wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm
AR795 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:46 am No, I don't have experience creating web pages.
The truth is in the past few years we had a few discussions. On how a designer would be needed. And not a coder. Therefore i guess best if you focus on the design aspect for now. And after we can figure out on how to port your work into a web page.
Pretty good suggestion!