FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by triplus »

Search doesn't work. :lol:

On a more serious note. I like the aesthetics of your proposal. Logo in the sidebar might just be slightly too big? I am guessing this is only HTML/CSS proposal for now and you didn't tried to get such results with Wiki theme just yet? Hopefully it will end up being flexible enough for being able to achieve that.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

yorik wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:19 pm One thing that might be interesting: reduce the left menu, but give a bit more white space left and right of the text. I don't know about you guys, but I like having the lines of text a bit shorter, like in a book. In that optic, I like @AR795's current design...
I have increased the text padding left and right, let me know if it is ok.
triplus wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:51 pm Search doesn't work. :lol:
:lol:
triplus wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:51 pm Logo in the sidebar might just be slightly too big?
I have reduced the logo size.
triplus wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:51 pm I am guessing this is only HTML/CSS proposal for now and you didn't tried to get such results with Wiki theme just yet? Hopefully it will end up being flexible enough for being able to achieve that.
Yes, it is html and css. I did install XAMPP and downloaded MediaWiki but I haven't checked it out yet.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

AR795 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 pm I have reduced the logo size.
Do you feel using the same approach as seen on the home page could work better? If you can test such variation easily take a look and decide what works better. If it doesn't end up being better i am fine with the current approach.
Yes, it is html and css. I did install XAMPP and downloaded MediaWiki but I haven't checked it out yet.
Great. Take your time.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

The new web page is beautiful! I don't see the icon the tab in firefox - it's just me or the icon is not there?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

It was quicker to just create a PR and re-enable the favicon related line:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage/pull/29

Compared to i guess explaining the favicon related line likely got removed by accident. ;)
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I forgot to add the favicon link after I copied over the html code into php, my mistake.

triplus wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 pm Do you feel using the same approach as seen on the home page could work better? If you can test such variation easily take a look and decide what works better. If it doesn't end up being better i am fine with the current approach.
I guess you are referring to the logo on the homepage, yes I did test it out in the beginning. I have attached a screenshot comparing the three variations I tested. Now since the sidebar width is narrow, the logo with a horizontal layout would get reduced in size so that is the reason I switched to a vertical layout.

screenshot-01.png
screenshot-01.png (79.06 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Or if you are referring to the top navigation bar on the homepage, I guess that could be added as well.

screenshot-02.png
screenshot-02.png (97.41 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

AR795 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:11 pm I forgot to add the favicon link after I copied over the html code into php, my mistake.
@kkremitzki merged the PR and deployed the changes. Favicon should be back.
I guess you are referring to the logo on the homepage, yes I did test it out in the beginning. I have attached a screenshot comparing the three variations I tested. Now since the sidebar width is narrow, the logo with a horizontal layout would get reduced in size so that is the reason I switched to a vertical layout.
Yes this is what i was talking about. Too me the first one is nice.
Or if you are referring to the top navigation bar on the homepage, I guess that could be added as well.
I don't have strong opinion on that. If others would like to have it it works for me. Without it works for me too. I guess if enabled it is easier to navigate between different FreeCAD places. If not enabled more screen size for documentation. And reader can always click on the logo to get back to the home page and to get such navigation header bar back. And in the end such details i guess will first need to be tested out on an actual Wiki instance. As it could turn out some design solutions and ideas could be hard to implement. Compared to HTML/CSS home page where things are highly likely more flexible. Therefore it could turn out design will have to be adapted to whatever customization Wiki offers.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The images on the website seem to be less crispy and clear compared to those I have seen here in the forum. Is that due to scaling? Can it be improved?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:29 am The images on the website seem to be less crispy and clear compared to those I have seen here in the forum. Is that due to scaling? Can it be improved?
Yes it is due to scaling. It can be improved if the authors of the images take a higher resolution screenshot. So far two people have submitted an updated screenshot.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I came across this software called A.I. Gigapixel which does super-sampling of images, essentially converting a lower resolution image to a higher resolution one. I gave it a try on one of the images in the website to see how well it performs. Here is the image before super-sampling:

screenshot-01.jpg
screenshot-01.jpg (102.17 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

And here is after super-sampling:

screenshot-01_output2.jpg
screenshot-01_output2.jpg (376.19 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

The results are not perfect; in some areas details are lost or skewed but overall it does make the image sharper. So would it be fine to update the images using this technique or are existing images satisfactory?
Last edited by AR795 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.