ESC button in Sketch

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PaFe

ESC button in Sketch

Post by PaFe »

Hello. I would talk about the behaviour of the ESC button using sketch. If a sketch tool is active (line, for example), the ESC button gets the deactivation of the tool, and this is right for sure. But if no tool is active, the ESC button exit the sketch. Personally I think that this last behaviour is a little bit annoying. Often is useful to press ESC just to be sure that no tool is active (for example using constraints), so if no tool was active I think ESC should do nothing. What do you think about?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: ESC button in Sketch

Post by Kunda1 »

PaFe wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:44 pm Hello. I would talk about the behaviour of the ESC button using sketch. If a sketch tool is active (line, for example), the ESC button gets the deactivation of the tool, and this is right for sure. But if no tool is active, the ESC button exit the sketch. Personally I think that this last behaviour is a little bit annoying. Often is useful to press ESC just to be sure that no tool is active (for example using constraints), so if no tool was active I think ESC should do nothing. What do you think about?
Yea, that makes sense. It reminds me of when I use vim where the ESC key plays a roll in base-lining the vim command queue
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I am one of the Mac users who use the Esc key instead of right mouse button, because the Qt5 version always zooms on RMB. So I'm not voting against it, but there are use cases where it is sensible to leave Sketcher on ESC key:

If instead of the Task panel the Tree is shown, then it is well possible to leave sketcher immediately with the ESC key. Without you have to switch to the Task panel first and close Sketcher from there.

The same holds if the buttons on top are out of sight: there might be some scrolling necessary before Sketcher can be closed.

Worst case is having both: switch and scroll.

These use cases are not severe but they should be considered.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

I would also prefer ESC to do nothing after leaving a mode. I allways have problems with trainees at the school , when they click to often and get lost like.. oooh all is away now...
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
PaFe

Post by PaFe »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:18 pm I am one of the Mac users who use the Esc key instead of right mouse button, because the Qt5 version always zooms on RMB. So I'm not voting against it, but there are use cases where it is sensible to leave Sketcher on ESC key:

If instead of the Task panel the Tree is shown, then it is well possible to leave sketcher immediately with the ESC key. Without you have to switch to the Task panel first and close Sketcher from there.

The same holds if the buttons on top are out of sight: there might be some scrolling necessary before Sketcher can be closed.

Worst case is having both: switch and scroll.

These use cases are not severe but they should be considered.
Maybe it would be better to assign ESC only to deactivate sketch tools, and for example ctrl+Q or ctrl+W (cmd for mac) or so, to exit the sketch.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Ctrl+q is closing app
Ctrl+w is closing file
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't know if Shift+ESC is recognized as a combination?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Is ctrl+Esc used as short cut by default? Just like ctrl+p or so...
I prefer the ctrl key above the shift key!!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:16 am I prefer the ctrl key above the shift key!!
Good idea.
PaFe

Post by PaFe »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:30 am Ctrl+q is closing app
Ctrl+w is closing file
Sorry, you are right!
Jee-Bee wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:16 am Is ctrl+Esc used as short cut by default? Just like ctrl+p or so...
I prefer the ctrl key above the shift key!!
I don't know why, but ctrl+ESC opens the windows start menù.

There is a configuration tool for shortcuts in Tools -> Customize ... -> Keyboard. There is the voice "exit the sketch" and ESC seems to be not assigned there... But ESC works anyway as described before