Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

Kunda1

Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

Postby Kunda1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:09 am

MuseScore is a free scorewriter for Windows, macOS, and Linux, comparable to Finale and Sibelius, supporting a wide variety of file formats and input methods.
Features
  • WYSIWYG design, notes are entered on a "virtual notepaper"
  • TrueType font(s) for printing & display allows for high quality scaling to all sizes
  • Easy & fast note entry
  • Many editing functions
  • MusicXML import/export
  • MIDI (SMF) import/export
  • MuseData import
  • MIDI input for note entry
  • Integrated sequencer and software synthesizer to play the score
  • Print or create pdf files
Infrastructure:
Qt5
QML

Version: MuseScore version (64-bit): 2.3.2, revision: github-musescore-musescore-3543170
Musescore-Start-Center.gif
This is their 'Start Center' I think it's coded in Javascript
Musescore-Start-Center.gif (308.44 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Musescore-dropdown-ui.gif
Notice the gradient metallic background
Musescore-dropdown-ui.gif (163.62 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Musescore-Sidebar.gif
sleek design, gradient-like metallic color
Musescore-Sidebar.gif (600.97 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Musescore-Plugin-Manager.gif
Plugin Manager is very clean, tight and sharp
Musescore-Plugin-Manager.gif (234.09 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
triplus

Re: Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

Postby triplus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 am

OK therefore i see it has Start dialog, File manager, rearrangeable Dock Widgets and a Package manager. Layout is rather familiar (if you are a FreeCAD user).

Where do you feel we are lagging behind compared to MuseScore?
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 am

It's a case study not a critique. Maybe we can garner inspiration from this project, IMO one of the few that really show how it's possible to soup up a Qt interface.

I'm simply pointing out the sleek and IMO classy gradient that the UI has.
Their Start Center is actually a dialog window and incorporates some interesting methodology to display information.
Their sidebars feels a little bit more reactive and 'crisp' (for the lack of better term).
The plugin manager is clean and (it has a quirk when toggling between different plugins but beside that) it contrasts very well with the background so information is clear.
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Very elegant and clean interface indeed... There is one thing that is important to note there, though, is that the musescore workflow seems way simpler than FreeCAD. They have a fraction of the tools we have

Good ideas I see there are

1) have a small "promotional" panel on their start page (but, what would we put in it if we had one...)
2) the "preview/description" pane on the addon manager, this one is really good, small and useful
3) a nice palettes menu. Need to look better at how that works..
Joel_graff

Postby Joel_graff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm

My nine-year-old has been obsessed with MuseScore for the last two weeks... I've paid no attention to it... :lol:

That said, after briefly reviewing the layout depicted here and the comparative layout in FreeCAD, I don't think we're that far from achieving something as elegant as MuseScore.

@yorik points out that we likely support more complex workflows in our UI than does MuseScore. I'll grant that. But we divide that complexity across workbenches, and interacting with specific tools is typically handled in the same way: using the Model / Tasks dialogs in the side panel. The only increased complexity that I see in the FC UI, really, is the additional windows at bottom (typically the report view and the python console for most of us...)

Really, IMO, @ickby's prototype UI is where it's at if we want to get serious about addressing UI functionality. ;)
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm

yorik wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm
There is one thing that is important to note there, though, is that the musescore workflow seems way simpler than FreeCAD. They have a fraction of the tools we have
Of course!
Joel_graff wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm
@yorik points out that we likely support more complex workflows in our UI than does MuseScore. I'll grant that. But we divide that complexity across workbenches, and interacting with specific tools is typically handled in the same way: using the Model / Tasks dialogs in the side panel. The only increased complexity that I see in the FC UI, really, is the additional windows at bottom (typically the report view and the python console for most of us...)
Agreed
Joel_graff wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm
Really, IMO, @ickby's prototype UI is where it's at if we want to get serious about addressing UI functionality.
We can still make some tweaks till our UI/UX prophet arrives. Also there may be folks that prefer the old-school layout once the ickby layout is created.
regis

Postby regis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:22 am

Wow that muse score is pretty sleek and classy, what ever is good about it that we can take and add on to freecad i'm down for it.