Looking for Graphics Designer for GDML workbench.

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Looking for Graphics Designer for GDML workbench.

Post by keithsloan52 »

Wondering if there is somebody with Graphic Design skills that could produce the relevant SVG files for my GDML workbench.
The workbench is on Github at https://github.com/KeithSloan/FreeCAD_Python_GDML

Eventually I will need icons for all the possible GDML solids as per http://geant4-userdoc.web.cern.ch/geant ... olids.html

If you scroll down to the section Constructed Solid Geometry (CSG) Solids.
You should see pictures for the types of solids.

The GDML icons in my opinion need to look different from any similar ones in the Part workbench - difference could be as simple as colour I guess.

There will be a few extra icons not related to GDML solids
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Looking for Graphics Designer for GDML workbench.

Post by NormandC »

There's a dedicated forum for that further down the board index.

UX/UI Design https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=34
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I've moved the topic to the UX/UI forum.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Thanks for letting me know.

I searched for keithsloan52 and it did not show up.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Keith
keithsloan52 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm Wondering if there is somebody with Graphic Design skills that could produce the relevant SVG files for my GDML workbench.
The workbench is on Github at https://github.com/KeithSloan/FreeCAD_Python_GDML

Eventually I will need icons for all the possible GDML solids as per
wow! some of those will be difficult at the resolution of an icon! :)

this is an image from Wikipedia Geant4 page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geant4
572px-DAGATA-Detektor_Monte_Carlo_Simulation_with_Geant4.png
572px-DAGATA-Detektor_Monte_Carlo_Simulation_with_Geant4.png (339.96 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
according to wikipedia text under that image
Visualisation of a simulation. The detector is red and radiation is green.

So I was wondering if you wanted a red icon theme?

Jim
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

jmaustpc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:11 pm Hi Keith

Jim
Hi Jim

Understand about the resolution issue, but not sure what else could be done. Open to suggestions

GDML Solids are like CSG Solids in the Parts work bench It just that there are a lot more different types
i.e. a richer set of solids and they have different ways of being defined i.e. different property names.

At the moment the GDML workbench is just dealing with GDML objects. I might try and add actual Monte Carlo simulation
using GEANT4 to the sister Workbench FreeCAD_Geant4 https://github.com/KeithSloan/FreeCAD_Geant4 in the future
but trying to stick to small steps for now.

The red object looks like the solid under test although it is labelled detector. The main thing would be that they
are different from the FreeCAD Part solids which are Yellow, so Red is probably a good choice.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Jim
Hi Jim

Understand about the resolution issue, but not sure what else could be done. Open to suggestions

GDML Solids are like CSG Solids in the Parts work bench It just that there are a lot more different types
i.e. a richer set of solids and they have different ways of being defined i.e. different property names.

At the moment the GDML workbench is just dealing with GDML objects. I might try and add actual Monte Carlo simulation
using GEANT4 to the sister Workbench FreeCAD_Geant4 https://github.com/KeithSloan/FreeCAD_Geant4 in the future

The red object looks like the solid under test although it is labelled detector. The main thing would be that they
are different from the FreeCAD Part solids which are Yellow, so Red is probably a good choice.
Keith I was thinking a bit more about this, since we use red in PartDesign Subtractive feature icons, and red dosn't mean much for your application, what if we pick Orange and then black would contrast well for details or possibly for parameters if they can be fitted in, that should give them a different look, I think.

One other thought, if GDML is open source, does it already have icons? If so could you just use their icons?
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:24 pm
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Jim
Hi Jim

Keith I was thinking a bit more about this, since we use red in PartDesign Subtractive feature icons, and red dosn't mean much for your application, what if we pick Orange and then black would contrast well for details or possibly for parameters if they can be fitted in, that should give them a different look, I think.

One other thought, if GDML is open source, does it already have icons? If so could you just use their icons?
A light orange would be fine as long as its obviously different from the yellow of part icons.

A light turquoise might be good as its more or less a complimentary colour of yellow.

Or even light green the link being green for GDML i.e. both starting with a G

Not aware of any GDML icons
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

G'day Keith
Here are some quick hacks of "Trapezoid" to give you an idea of what they could look like. I have used a black outline because I hope it will make the more complex shapes' details more obvious at icon resolution. But of course we can change any of this if you like.
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:54 pm A light orange would be fine as long as its obviously different from the yellow of part icons.
This is the current Part_Box icon for comparison.
Part_Box_original.png
Part_Box_original.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
Here are two slightly different oranges
orange 1
GDML_Trapezoid.svg
(7.68 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
GDML_Trapezoid.png
GDML_Trapezoid.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
orange 2 - slightly darker i.e. a little more in the red direction
GDML_Trapezoid_2.svg
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
GDML_Trapezoid2.png
GDML_Trapezoid2.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:54 pm A light turquoise might be good as its more or less a complimentary colour of yellow.
GDML_Trapezoid_turquoise.svg
(7.81 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
GDML_Trapezoid_turquoise.png
GDML_Trapezoid_turquoise.png (3.02 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:54 pm Or even light green the link being green for GDML i.e. both starting with a G
Green is the colour we used for Mesh objects ...but I could do a different Green probably if you are keen for green. :)

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:49 pm I have used a black outline because I hope it will make the more complex shapes' details more obvious at icon resolution.
this is what they look like with the black outlines

This is the orange 2 (darker more red of the two oranges above)
GDML_Trapezoid_2_blackline.svg
(7.83 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
GDML_Trapezoid2_blackline.png
GDML_Trapezoid2_blackline.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 1938 times

and the turquoise with black outlines
GDML_Trapezoid_turquoise_blackline.svg
(7.84 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
GDML_Trapezoid_turquoise_blackline.png
GDML_Trapezoid_turquoise_blackline.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
the difference dosen't look much at this resolution but the first ones (the previous post examples) are a brown from a current FreeCAD icon where as these icons in this post are actually black outlines.