[SOLVED] Request for IfcProject icon?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: Request for IfcProject icon?

Post by bernd »

It would never search the top level project container behind a ruler icon, but I am engineer not architect. I might think different. :ugeek:
Moult

Post by Moult »

Let's go for the dome :) it looks more fancy and we need a bit of traditional inspiration when starting projects! Also, coordinates are likely to move to the site container in a future IFC spec from what I hear.
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Moult wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 pm Let's go for the dome
Ok. Here you are. With the white version...
ifc_project_icon.svg
(15.64 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
ifc_Project_Tree.svg
(15.95 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
inkscape_2019-06-17_21-05-03.png
inkscape_2019-06-17_21-05-03.png (22.99 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
inkscape_2019-06-17_21-05-31.png
inkscape_2019-06-17_21-05-31.png (24.97 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Just saw the topic, really proud of the choice !! :D
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

The icon of the ruler looks like a hammer for me.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Joyas wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 pm The icon of the ruler looks like a hammer for me.
That is the "T Ruler"... the traditional tool of Architects. Not as clumsy or random as an Autocad. An elegant tool, for a more civilized age...
:)
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bitacovir wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 am
Joyas wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 pm The icon of the ruler looks like a hammer for me.
That is the "T Ruler"... the traditional tool of Architects.
@bitacovir perhaps adding ruler marks to the handle portion of it? I could see how it would look like a hammer to someone, even though for me I recognized it immediately as a Ruler (didn't know it's official name though till now).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

That is the "T Ruler"... the traditional tool of Architects. Not as clumsy or random as an Autocad. An elegant tool, for a more civilized age...
:)
yes indeed! :D

Although i have to point out that its not a "ruler", is a "square". In English at least, they are called a "T Square". :)
Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:20 am
That is the "T Ruler"... the traditional tool of Architects.
@bitacovir perhaps adding ruler marks to the handle portion of it?
As I said above, its not a ruler but a "T square", they don't traditionally have any numbers on them, you use it to draw horizontal lines but you also use it to sit another square on it to give you lines on other angles.

Also at icon size you would not see the numbers.
Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:20 am even though for me I recognized it immediately as a Ruler (didn't know it's official name though till now).
Now you know its not a Ruler! :D

Let me guess, you are so young that you think Technical drawings are done on a computer! :lol: I am old enough to have been taught technical drawing by hand in high school, but my dad had already taught me years earlier when I was in primary school because I thought it was cool. :)

here is the wikipedia page...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-square

Jim
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:34 am
As I said above, its not a ruler but a "T square", they don't traditionally have any numbers on them, you use it to draw horizontal lines but you also use it to sit another square on it to give you lines on other angles.
Totally true what you say. But... at Latin america we call it "Regla T". Spanish: Regla=Ruler, because of its shape more similar to a ruler than a square (triangular). And we old architects used to use them as swords to fight for our honor... (Latin America is a savage land)
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

bitacovir wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:28 pm
yorik wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:14 pm The ruler has the advantage that it conveys well the idea that the project (will) define a coordinates system.
In the beginning, it was the white table. And the Architect put the T ruler on position, draw a line and he saw it was good.
Did you think of that as you came around the moon? :)

To anyone who doesn't understand what I am on about, Apollo 8 message to Earth, Christmas eve 1968! :) Listening to them reading Genesis with a picture of Earth Rise in the background is a very emotionally powerful image.

Australia was critical to the Apollo missions, our radio telescopes were the receiving stations when the Earth rotated accordingly. We received the signal as Neil Armstrong walked out the first time "one small step...." was received in Australia. I have reasonably recently taken my kids to both Tidbinbilla (near Canberra) and Parkes radio telescope (in a sheep paddock near Parkes NSW). The Parkes trip was good, since I am a local bloke (I only live about 200km away), I arranged with one of the scientist who was going to be on site when we went there, to give my kids and I a private VIP tour up the tower to the dish etc. where the public can not normally go. It was great!

Parkes is roughly 500km west/inland from Sydney, in the middle of the state of New South Wales.