Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

Post by chrisb »

I prefer the current equal sign as is. The proposal suggests to me much more than the equal sign that it applies to horizontal lines. And it would be especially inappropriate for arcs.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

DeepSOIC wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:58 pm It also works on:
Yes, and radiuses are lengths. If in the future it is able to handle more types of equality, then I think using the equals symbol is fine. But then, not now.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It remains confusing on equal arcs, because you don't select the radius, you select the arcs.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

I like the third version from vocx. Yes, the equality isn't only for length, but it gives the user a second difference to the parallel icon and my first association of vocx icon goes more in an equality direction than the old icon.
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

Or maybe somebody can create a survey for the different icon versions.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

+1 for the third version of vox
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Rotated.png
Rotated.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Would such change do? That is by using the most universal signs out there, for equal and parallel?
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:12 pm It remains confusing on equal arcs, because you don't select the radius, you select the arcs.
Then it is the way the tool itself works which is confusing since you select the arc lines but when you press the equality icon you do not get arcs of the same arc length or same angle but the same radius. It may be argued that an icon showing a straight line equality better represents what the tool will actually do on an arc or circle.

Selecting two angles does nothing ( "Select two or more compatible edges" ) so no issues there.

It seems that all things that the equality constraint does are consistent with the idea of a linear equality. Expressing this is more accurate than plain "equals" since in it may imply or suggest equalities in factors which it does not affect.

I like vcox' third icon best, visually. Graphically very balanced and pleasing. However, it is derived from the icon meaning equal horizontal distance and this is more specific than what equality constraint does. This is why I based my suggested icon on the existing icon for setting length, or arbitrary orientation.
Attachments
Screenshot_sketch_icons2.png
Screenshot_sketch_icons2.png (13.71 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Constraint_Length.svg
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I've uploaded my deconfusion parallel constraint svg icon and its petit frere xpm. I think I've created a PR but I'm not sure can someone confirm?
https://github.com/J-Dunn/FreeCAD

Thanks.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

There is no PR from you to FreeCAD/FreeCAD : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... %3AJ-Dunn+