Redesign the UI and UX

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
usbhub

Re: Redesign the UI and UX

Post by usbhub »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:06 pm
usbhub wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:01 pm I use TabBar already, but I have to move the bar every start of FreeCAD, because FreeCAD doesn't save the position of the bar correctly. Secondly I think, a standard integration would make sence (the dropdown is very large and confusing).
Is there an issue open for this ?
Edit: Maybe open one at https://github.com/triplus/TabBar/ ?
It is not an issue of TabBar, it's an issue of FreeCAD in general. The problem occurs with all toolbars. But I don't know, how to reproduce it, it doesn't appears everytime.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

usbhub wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:54 pm Just so I'm sure I got it right: Do you want to change to default layout (moving toolbars, etc.) ?
what I have been looking for is to be able to customize the layout of existing functions, both in the toolbars (this mostly exists) but also the menus, contextual-menus, panels ... and that such a customisation could be saved in a file, and be portable from one workstation to another. My workflow seems to be very different from that of the main FreeCAD developers.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

@rahamanshaber
You have to know, that is not sure, that your changes will be merged! It may well be that your changes won't merged and you work was for nothing (ok, not for nothing, but not the new standard layout).
But first name a few ideas you want to change, so we can give you our opinion.

usbhub
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

usbhub wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm @rahamanshaber
You have to know, that is not sure, that your changes will be merged! It may well be that your changes won't merged and you work was for nothing (ok, not for nothing, but not the new standard layout).
But first name a few ideas you want to change, so we can give you our opinion.

usbhub
I know that, that's why i asked.

I just want the disabled button to hide auto. Also the tasks tab when it is not in use and it should appear in a separate widget in right side.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:45 pm Also the tasks tab when it is not in use and it should appear in a separate widget in right side.
+1 to this, but hiding disabled buttons seems counterproductive to me
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 am
rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:45 pm Also the tasks tab when it is not in use and it should appear in a separate widget in right side.
+1 (especially the counterproductive hidden buttons)
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

usbhub wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm
adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 am
+1 (especially the counterproductive hidden buttons)
I just want to ask when you what much time it took you to learn the freeCAD?
I don't see any apps disable the feature instead of hiding. I think it is not a good ux.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

How about a settingto hide disabled tools
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

rahmanshaber wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:43 pm I don't see any apps disable the feature instead of hiding. I think it is not a good ux.
Most app I know don't hide, actually. How else would you know you can do something?
rahmanshaber wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:41 pm How about a settingto hide disabled tools
This is more reasonable
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:48 am
rahmanshaber wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:43 pm I don't see any apps disable the feature instead of hiding. I think it is not a good ux.
Most app I know don't hide, actually. How else would you know you can do something?
rahmanshaber wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:41 pm How about a settingto hide disabled tools
This is more reasonable
I think you did not get my point after all.

For now hiding option will be better. So how you guys will implement it.