New overlay mode (Now ready for testing)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

pablogil

Re: New overlay mode (Now ready for testing)

Postby pablogil » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:48 pm

realthunder wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:50 am
Yes, please check the opening post for instructions. I have also made some minor change on the existing stylesheet, e.g. here.
Nice, I have checked them and they are very interesting. Anyway, the 2 states are not user configurable via stylesheet, doesn't it? it would be great if they are so. I guess it would need to be added an ID (or name) to the parent container (Dock) and change it on the fly so that they can be called from the stylesheet with something like the following:

Code: Select all

#OverlayActive QDockWindow ... { some code here}

# OverlayInactive QDockWindow ... {some code here}
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
nic

Postby nic » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:51 pm

realthunder wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:31 pm
Image updated. Please check.
No more issue with rev 20545. Thanks
adrianinsaval

Postby adrianinsaval » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:47 pm

nic wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:41 am
I'm specially amazed by this tab. Is this part of the new features? Was it existing and hidden before?
This is the Selection View, it's also available in regular FreeCAD.
realthunder wrote:
Could we get controls for the vertical size of the left and right widgets and horizontal size of the bottom widget? I use a bigger navicube because the text looks really bad by default and some buttons get behind the overlayed widgets, besides I would like to have report view and python console use just half the screen
nic

Postby nic » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:41 am

adrianinsaval wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:47 pm
This is the Selection View, it's also available in regular FreeCAD.
How did I miss that? :shock:
Thanks!
Pauvres_honteux

Postby Pauvres_honteux » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:19 am

I'd like to be able to only have the tree visible, that is, no frame/box around it. Would that be possible?
Further I'd like to get rid of / not see View, Data and Tasks in such a way only the tree is visible.

To access Data I would like to just double click on the feature of interest and then it pops up as a, well, a popup window.
FreeCAD_200425_ASM3_Double_click_a_feature_should_bring_up_a_popup_2.png
FreeCAD_200425_ASM3_Double_click_a_feature_should_bring_up_a_popup_2.png (65.12 KiB) Viewed 367 times
On top of the above I need to be able to zoom the tree. As it stands now I can barely see the letters. Would this be feasible?
Pauvres_honteux

Postby Pauvres_honteux » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:37 am

@realthunder: about other stuff in your appimage 0.11 2020.04.25. Shall we discuss all things we find in this thread or will you create new threads per workbench? Or something similar?
saso

Postby saso » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:17 am

Pauvres_honteux wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:19 am
I'd like to be able to only have the tree visible, that is, no frame/box around it. Would that be possible?
Further I'd like to get rid of / not see View, Data and Tasks in such a way only the tree is visible...
Yes, first thing that is bad on the design is that things move around (ex. when you have the mouse away from the tree it has one position, then when you move it over the tree it moves to a different position) this is one of the first bad practices points in every "design book"...

As for the panels, the selection, report and python are IMO already working nice, that is each user can arrange them the way they want (ex. struck them together, have them side by side or have them floating separately). IMO we should just split in the same way also the combo and have three individual panels, one for the tree, one for properties and one for task and then have the task and property work in such way that they show up only when a task is active or feature is selected. This would be good both for this transparent mode as also for the standard layout.
Last edited by saso on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
saso

Re: New overlay mode (soon ready for testing)

Postby saso » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:30 am

realthunder wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:48 pm
I just made the release....
About the datum elements, is there some special dependency on the code from your build, if not, can we get this in to the master now? We have been discussing it now already for so long, IMO it would be good if it would go directly in to the master... :|
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:50 pm

pablogil wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:48 pm
Nice, I have checked them and they are very interesting. Anyway, the 2 states are not user configurable via stylesheet, doesn't it?
There are three states actually, and yes they are user configurable. Right now, only through parameter editor, under group "BaseApp/Preferences/MainWindow", same place as "StyleSheet" is stored. The three states corresponds to the following string parameters,

OverlayOnStyleSheet: used when the mouse is not over the dock overlay, default is here.

OverlayOffStyleSheet: used when mouse over a dock overlay without transparent mode, in other word, it used to turning off the overlay mode, default is here.

OverlayActiveStyleSheet: used when mouse over a dock overlay with transparent mode. This is a mode in between overlay and normal mode, where window backgound is transparent but buttons and input widgets are opaque. Default is here.

The program is actively monitor these parameters, your can set the path to your own stylesheet to these parameters, and the changes will reflected immediately.

We may need your expertise to come up with better stylesheets that matches with various bundled themes.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.11) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:16 pm

New image is available.

Allow offset the overlay dock window using the existing + and - button on the dock titlebar. Hold CTRL and then press the button to move the window. Hold SHIFT and the press the button to change the dimension.

Use a splitter to support side by side docked windows. Try turn off the transparent mode, and you can easily find the handle to resize and reveal the other docked windows. You can drag the tab buttons to rearrange the tabs, and the splitter will be updated accordingly.

Pauvres_honteux wrote:
You can open the preference window, and change the "Tree view mode" to tree view + property view, This makes the "task view", "tree view" and "property view" as three separate dock windows, you can group them whatever you like.

On top of the above I need to be able to zoom the tree. As it stands now I can barely see the letters. Would this be feasible?
Not sure how to do that, but you can easily change the 3D view background color to make the text more visible. And the tree label text color can be changed with customized stylesheet. See my previous post.

Pauvres_honteux wrote:
To access Data I would like to just double click on the feature of interest and then it pops up as a, well, a popup window.
That's not a good idea, as double clicking is used for editing the object. You can try the "Auto show/hide on edit" to auto show/hide docking window when editing.

Pauvres_honteux wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:37 am
@realthunder: about other stuff in your appimage 0.11 2020.04.25. Shall we discuss all things we find in this thread or will you create new threads per workbench? Or something similar?
Let's focus on the overlay UI here only.

saso wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:17 am
Yes, first thing that is bad on the design is that things move around (ex. when you have the mouse away from the tree it has one position, then when you move it over the tree it moves to a different position) this is one of the first bad practices points in every "design book"...
You referring to the factor that tree view jump a bit when mouse is over? That's because the overlay mode hides more stuff (e.g. the tree header, scroll bar etc.) when the mouse is not over it. I think that's a user preference thing, and can be customizable with user defined stylesheets. See my previous post.

saso wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:17 am
As for the panels, the selection, report and python are IMO already working nice, that is each user can arrange them the way they want
Please try the latest image, you can now do the same while in overlay mode.

saso wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:30 am
About the datum elements, is there some special dependency on the code from your build, if not, can we get this in to the master now? We have been discussing it now already for so long, IMO it would be good if it would go directly in to the master...
It is possible to submit PR for that. But I think we'll have a hard time to convince Werner, as I used "import PartDesign" and struff to implement the commands, which creates runtime dependency in the core to PartDesign module. I personally think this runtime dependency (comparing to compile time dependency) does not cause any problem. On the contrary, that's one of the reason why Python is so powerful.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.11) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal