New overlay mode (Now ready for testing)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OficineRobotica

Re: New overlay mode (Now ready for testing)

Post by OficineRobotica »

tom wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:03 pm While playing with the DontUseNativeDialog parameter I encountered a crash in your branch of FC when trying to add a new prameter
That was just recently fixed in master. I think @realthunder just needs to merge the fix with his branch.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 05#p417305
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
OficineRobotica

pablogil wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:39 pm
Thank you so much. I'm trying it now.
I think you might be the one that can give me a helping hand with this:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=48696

Atm I'm really intrested in point n°1 because using the size option for the text/icons in the tree will make them lose the vertical padding
Thank you again.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

tom wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:03 pm can confirm that the problem occurs only with the MacOS standard file dialog. However, the in the standard version of FC the problem does not exist at all regardless of the file dialog type used.
Because in my branch, it is possible to save your document as a directory without compression (for using with external version control software), in which case there is no extension used. And it seems only possible to choose directory for saving when using Qt style file dialog. I'll probably disable using native file dialog permanently in the future.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:06 am 1- suppress auto hide while a task is opened and make the hint bar act as a quick toggle for hiding the dock. For example if I start a filet task and want to add extra edges , when clicking in the 3d view the dock will hide forcing the user to go and unhide it to complete the task. This extends to all task dialogs that I opened.

2- I found my self allot clicking features in the tree because I wanted to modify some parameter in the property view. Then I had to go and unhide the right side dock. Having a voice named “raise property view” on click in the “tree view actions” would beautifully solve the problem. If I’m modeling I’ll have that on as 90%of the time by clicking a feature of a body is because I want to modify some parameter. I’ll have that off if I am working with an assembly and I use the tree mostly for selecting stuff.
Of course there is the corner case here also. If I click a “element” of an assembly in the tree it is because I want to examine or modify some of it’s parameters.
Maybe these two problems you have are related, probably due to the fact that you prefer to split the tree view and property view on two different side? Why not turn on the standalone property view and dock it together with the tree view. You can expand and collapse the property view at will. Or better, use the tab bar hint for easy switching between them. You can still keep the property view at combo view if you see fit.

You can then set the tree view side of dock as 'hide on edit', and set the combo view side of dock as 'show on edit'. The 'show on edit' option will show not only when editing the object, but also if there is any visible task dialog. The 'hide on editing' option, however, will only hide if there is object in edit.

This might become complex because there is a special case where the dock should hide. The sketcher dialog. This is where the quick hide/unhide by clicking on the hint bar might be usefull. Can we spawn a discussion here on how a automatic logic of hiding should work?
Sure, don't forget to ping me.

4- there already is a delay setting for showing the hint bar. The subsequent delay for showing the dock should be shorter or removed all together. There is no need for yet another setting for that. I just felt that the action between seeing the hint and starting the animation should be faster.
I'll expose the dock overlay re-layout delay parameter. You'll see that removing this delay completely will give some undesired effect. Reducing it to 100 ms is probably what you want.

3- I love the functionality of pie menu’s that you introduced. I’m pie everywhere I can lol. There are some voices that I can’t access though with this implementation. For example I can’t have a pie that can change between workbenches. Somehow the @triplus pie gives direct access to that. Also I can’t have direct voices to “as is” “shadow” and “wireframe” display modes. Those can be accesed only through a drop down menu. How can I create a pie that has “one click” voices for “as is” “shadow” “wireframe” “asm3” “part design” “part” ?
I'll expose the draw style and each workbench as individual commands. On the other hand, you probably want to try creating workbench specific pie menus, to reduce the need for explicitly switching workbench.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
tom

Post by tom »

realthunder wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:53 am
tom wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:03 pm can confirm that the problem occurs only with the MacOS standard file dialog. However, the in the standard version of FC the problem does not exist at all regardless of the file dialog type used.
Because in my branch, it is possible to save your document as a directory without compression (for using with external version control software), in which case there is no extension used. And it seems only possible to choose directory for saving when using Qt style file dialog. I'll probably disable using native file dialog permanently in the future.
Saving the document as a directory is a very interesting feature for me since I already use GIT as version control for my CAD projects. Of course, currently I can't diff between two version because of the binary file format. How can I save my project as a directory?

BR Tom
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

tom wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:02 am Saving the document as a directory is a very interesting feature for me since I already use GIT as version control for my CAD projects. Of course, currently I can't diff between two version because of the binary file format. How can I save my project as a directory?
Use the save file dialog to create a directory, select it, and then click open. And yes you can diff it, as most of the data are saved using text format.
OficineRobotica

realthunder wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 am Maybe these two problems you have are related, probably due to the fact that you prefer to split the tree view and property view on two different side? Why not turn on the standalone property view and dock it together with the tree view. You can expand and collapse the property view at will. Or better, use the tab bar hint for easy switching between them. You can still keep the property view at combo view if you see fit.

You can then set the tree view side of dock as 'hide on edit', and set the combo view side of dock as 'show on edit'. The 'show on edit' option will show not only when editing the object, but also if there is any visible task dialog. The 'hide on editing' option, however, will only hide if there is object in edit.
Yess....auto show on edit did the trick for the right side combo view. For now it is enough for me for keeping tasks visible.

I'll expose the dock overlay re-layout delay parameter. You'll see that removing this delay completely will give some undesired effect. Reducing it to 100 ms is probably what you want.
Don't expose it. We already have so many options lol. If there are side effects in removing all together that second delay just make it shorter.

I'll expose the draw style and each workbench as individual commands. On the other hand, you probably want to try creating workbench specific pie menus, to reduce the need for explicitly switching workbench.
There is the type to search bar in the "toolbars" edit dialog. Perhaps exposing those actions in the search results? This way a user can search for "as is" or "expand/collapse" etc and add to his preferred pie. It is just a suggestion. Ignore me if i talk nonsense. In the mean time the macro workaround works for me.
pieMenu.jpeg
pieMenu.jpeg (203.32 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

OficineRobotica wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:04 am
Thank you so much. I'm trying it now.
I think you might be the one that can give me a helping hand with this:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=48696

Atm I'm really intrested in point n°1 because using the size option for the text/icons in the tree will make them lose the vertical padding
Thank you again.
I think it's better that I answer to your question in the correct thread, OK? ;)
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

New image release.

Added 'Hide tab bar' option to free up more space in dock overlay. Works better with 'tab bar hint'. Also added 'dock overlay layout delay' to adjust delay from hover on hint and overlay show up. The delay actually applies to all layout changes of overlay.
Screenshot from 2020-08-11 15-12-00.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-11 15-12-00.png (74.56 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Screenshot from 2020-08-11 20-54-09.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-11 20-54-09.png (76.5 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

realthunder wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 pm New image release.
Thanks for that. There might be a small bug in this release.

Simple to replicate:
-New body and new sketch
-create shape in sketch
- pad
-when creating another sketch for the next feature the part is not visible

the problem doesn't persist in the previous version.
test 11.08.2020.png
test 11.08.2020.png (10.83 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
test 04.08.2020.png
test 04.08.2020.png (11.04 KiB) Viewed 2394 times