Work on modern icon theme

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hwalseng

Re: Work on modern icon theme

Post by hwalseng »

st_phan wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:04 pm Thank you all for your incredibly kind words.
That is actually already quite a motivational push :D :)
I'm impressed by your work so far Stephan, and I think your contribution is very valuable!
We need good coders and code reviewers, but the time for a UI push has come, so we need you on board :)
Speaking on motivation, that's a good question. Maybe 1.5 hours work in the morning a couple of days a week, build a routine.

It might be on the side; but if you're ever interested in visiting Norway, I'd gladly accomodate you in Voss. My home is open to contributors and people interested in digital fabrication. I've studied 1.5 years in Germany, so language is no problem. Maybe connections around the world, and cooperation can be a motivational factor?

I'm also playing with the thought of arranging an 'Open source digital fabrication conference' next summer in Norway. Combining knowledge about building low cost, large format CNC machines as a community, combined with a conference for FreeCAD as well.

The post got a little longer than intended, but cheers from Norway! Haakon
Cyclonit

Post by Cyclonit »

Those are some really nice icons! I will be using them for sure. Please keep up the good work!

Whenever I have trouble motivating myself, it is usually because the reality of the project (i.e. the amount of tasks) is overwhelms me. In those situations I try to take a step back, organize all of my thoughts and plan the next stages. This includes a small README.md (I have one for every project of mine) where I outline the overall goal of the projects, intended features, technical challenges etc. I also track all of my tasks in there. A quick example:
readme-example.png
readme-example.png (12.32 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
Have you considered writing some guidelines so others can contribute icons? A guide like https://material.io/design (not as exhaustive of course ;)) could be very helpful to others and might help you streamline your process. Some simple rules like these maybe:

1. Additive tasks use blue

2. Subtractive tasks use red

3. 3D tasks use 3D icons

4. 2D tasks use 2D icons
ilanm

Post by ilanm »

I'm loving these very much. Can't wait to add some visual sugar to FreeCAD. :D

Is there a release of this?
st_phan

Post by st_phan »

A personal milestone :)
Thanks for all the kind words of you all, this made it really fun to make some progress!

The icons for the workbenches "Part" and "Part Design" are complete – not perfect but complete :D
(Note: I haven't incorporated all the feedback regarding contrast/colorblindness/etc. yet but try to do my best)
preview.png
preview.png (149.69 KiB) Viewed 4374 times

This is what an overview of all icons looks like:
Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 01.37.45.png
Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 01.37.45.png (135.71 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
If you want to check it out, here is the .rcc file as .zip (because I couldn't upload the plain .rcc file here).
demo.rcc.zip
(43.69 KiB) Downloaded 227 times

———————————————

ilanm wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:11 pm Is there a release of this?
I added the the .rcc file – you have to unzip it and follow the instructions from triplus awesome icon addon.
Let me know what you think – feedback is very welcome :)

Cyclonit wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:52 pm Those are some really nice icons! I will be using them for sure. Please keep up the good work!
[...]
Have you considered writing some guidelines so others can contribute icons? A guide like https://material.io/design (not as exhaustive of course ;)) could be very helpful to others and might help you streamline your process. Some simple rules like these maybe:
[...]
Thanks for the tip of the readme and breaking the tasks into smaller chunks.
Even though it's still a long road ahead it feels really good to now have completed parts of it :)

hwalseng wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:46 pm I'm impressed by your work so far Stephan, and I think your contribution is very valuable!
We need good coders and code reviewers, but the time for a UI push has come, so we need you on board :)
Speaking on motivation, that's a good question. Maybe 1.5 hours work in the morning a couple of days a week, build a routine.

It might be on the side; but if you're ever interested in visiting Norway, I'd gladly accomodate you in Voss. My home is open to contributors and people interested in digital fabrication. I've studied 1.5 years in Germany, so language is no problem. Maybe connections around the world, and cooperation can be a motivational factor?

I'm also playing with the thought of arranging an 'Open source digital fabrication conference' next summer in Norway. Combining knowledge about building low cost, large format CNC machines as a community, combined with a conference for FreeCAD as well.

The post got a little longer than intended, but cheers from Norway! Haakon
Good point with the routine. Corona actually "forced" me to have a small workout routine every day, maybe I can make it a workout + FreeCAD routine :D

Thank you A LOT for the invitation – this is so kind. I actually have never been to Norway, but that sounds awesome. Let's hope the whole Corona situation is over in a few months, then I'd be happy to pay you a visit. It would be so much more fun to order a pizza and code/design next to each other :)

PS: The low-cost large format CNC machine project sounds cool and the open fabrication conference is an interesting idea as well.
I actually wanted to join an open workshop this year (where the have a CNC) but they currently have to limit access due to the situation being :(
I find projects like OpenDesk or those joints adjusted for CNC really interesting ... but I don't want to spam this thread anymore :D Feel free to send me a PM :)
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Incredible milestone and great work so far! Really enjoying what I see so far and I look forward to your continued efforts. This is not a trivial task and I find your icons clean, clear and easy to identify. Well done!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

st_phan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:04 am The icons for the workbenches "Part" and "Part Design" are complete – not perfect but complete :D
We had some time ago a discussion about the polyline icon. User are with some regularity surprised about the famous M key which makes the polyline so much more powerful. So we talked about an icon which was not only a zigzag bit had a curved line at the end.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
st_phan

Post by st_phan »

chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:31 am We had some time ago a discussion about the polyline icon. User are with some regularity surprised about the famous M key which makes the polyline so much more powerful. So we talked about an icon which was not only a zigzag bit had a curved line at the end.
Hey Chrisb,

I actually created two (but exported the zig zag one in the rcc file). I think I took the idea of the left one from Fusion360, but then stayed closer to the current FreeCAD one.
Is that something like you had in mind or something different entirely?
polyline.png
polyline.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 4309 times

PS: Such feedback is very welcome, since I don't know FreeCAD as thorough yet
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

Hi @st_phan,
I just installed your modern icon theme and I fell in love instantly. Your icons look so tidy and consistent ... it's a pleasure to work with them. Please continue your excellent work :P
BTW installing your demo.rcc.zip I noticed that some of the icons shown in Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 01.37.45.png aren't present in the Icon theme, for instance some of the Constraint 2D icons ... see picture below. Is there some reason for that?
sketcher_tools.png
sketcher_tools.png (10.66 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
Thank you again for your professional work.

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 1062b6ee0f90ae197bc816aebf4dcf1b1646aa30
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

st_phan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:57 am Hey Chrisb,

I actually created two (but exported the zig zag one in the rcc file). I think I took the idea of the left one from Fusion360, but then stayed closer to the current FreeCAD one.
Is that something like you had in mind or something different entirely?
That's indeed what I had in mind, although I would prefer a 3 or more element icon, e.g. like this - of course without the arc centers:
Snip macro screenshot-154da7.png
Snip macro screenshot-154da7.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
Edit: Formerly the parallel icon looked like a bigger equal sign. Distinction from the equality constraint was vastly improved with the current diagonal layout of the lines. I would keep that.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

+1 from as well for the parallel symbol. It is a bit confusing if it's horizontal.

But otherwise fantastic job. Keep up the good work.

Cheers