Work on modern icon theme

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
extracha

Re: Work on modern icon theme

Post by extracha »

Thanks very much for these icons, st_phan. Together with dulouie's modern-config macro, the effect is extraordinary.

I've noticed that the Sketcher ConstrainCoincident icon is missing from your comparison image, and you can see in dulouie's screenshots that the default icon is still being used. Are you planning to create a new icon for that?
st_phan

Post by st_phan »

abdullah wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:26 pm
st_phan wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:08 pm
abdullah wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:46 pm Aren't those the ones appearing when using the Elements widget for starting point / endpoint / mid point selection?

Just create in a Sketch a circle and a line. Go to the elements widget and press 'z' to iterate the selection mode.

BTW somebody sorted the icons into directories. Many thanks.
Ah yes, there they appear! Thanks a lot for the hint.
I haven't fully figured out what it does yet, but at least I know where to find them :)
The elements' widget allows to perform actions on individual geometries or part of geometries. It started to work-around the problem that overlapping points or lines could not be selected (today you can for example choose that construction geometry is shown on top, this was not available back them). Basically think that you can create any constraint without your mouse leaving the elements' widget. It allows more than that, but that is how it started if I remember correctly.

ElementsWidget.gif
Ah that makes a lot of sense!
It's actually a quite interesting functionality. Thanks for taking the time and explaining it :)

———

extracha wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 am Thanks very much for these icons, st_phan. Together with dulouie's modern-config macro, the effect is extraordinary.

I've noticed that the Sketcher ConstrainCoincident icon is missing from your comparison image, and you can see in dulouie's screenshots that the default icon is still being used. Are you planning to create a new icon for that?
Hi Extracha,

thanks for the kind words. Good catch, I totally missed that because it wasn't visible in my toolbar :D
I will include add in the next version.

The plan in general is to redo all icons – maybe they could become the default iconset for FreeCAD at some point.
But that endevour is quite large, so I just post an update whenever I have workbench (close to) complete or whenever I feel like it's worth sharing.
hwalseng

Post by hwalseng »

st_phan wrote: ping
Have you considered joining forces with RealThunder, to get your icons implemented as default in his releases?
Realthunder is making very good progress; implementing new features as he goes while updating the community.
He seems very open to input and cooperation.

My christmas wish would definitely be a cooperation between you two, starting with the modern icon theme, then moving
into the area of streamling workflow and making the overall UI/UX experience better :)

RealThunders patreon, with updates: https://www.patreon.com/thundereal/posts
OficineRobotica is making a nice effort showcasing RealThunders releases on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-NRKk6U8s
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

hwalseng wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:34 am Have you considered joining forces with RealThunder, to get your icons implemented as default in his releases?
Realthunder is making very good progress; implementing new features as he goes while updating the community.

My christmas wish would definitely be a cooperation between you two, starting with the modern icon theme, then moving
into the area of streamling workflow and making the overall UI/UX experience better :)
Can the modern Icon theme be installed via https://github.com/triplus/IconThemes ?
If so then why burden realthunder with the request to further diverge from the FreeCAD master branch. We don't want his branch to become a fork instead we want his work to make it in to master. Every change he makes he has to maintain against the master branch, this means when he wants to sync his branch with master he has to play an intricate game for all the changes to live together. If the user can install a different icon set, that's one/many less changes he needs to maintain and making merges back in to the master branch less complicated.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Petert

Post by Petert »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:03 am
hwalseng wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:34 am Have you considered joining forces with RealThunder <snip>

<snip> We don't want his branch to become a fork instead we want his work to make it in to master.
Exactly!
I am a refugee from Fusion 360. Switched over to FreeCAD and am spreading the word. After years of very little progress I switched again to another solution. I wish you all the best!
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Just installed your icon pack through Triplus addon, and i'm enjoying so much the icons! They give a real boost to the readability of many commands. Thanks for your work!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
st_phan

Post by st_phan »

hwalseng wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:34 am
st_phan wrote: ping
Have you considered joining forces with RealThunder, to get your icons implemented as default in his releases?

RealThunders patreon, with updates: https://www.patreon.com/thundereal/posts
OficineRobotica is making a nice effort showcasing RealThunders releases on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-NRKk6U8s
Honestly, I haven't heard about RealThunder before you mentioned it. Thanks for pointing that out and I am def. gonna have a look! :)

Maybe my addition to what the others have mentioned:
Why my goal would be for the icons to land in the regular FreeCAD is because I believe most users don't bother to install any extensions/addons/themes/etc. They just stick to what they get straight out of the box. Not everbody is as passionate as we :D

I read the article "Set It and Forget It: How Default Settings Rule the World" a long while ago, that points out several aspects of our lives that are clearly shaped by what the default "setting" is.
I always have to think about this article, when it comes to conversations like this one :)

——

PS: Thanks to all the others for the kind words :)
PPS: The next iteration is coming soon
extracha

Post by extracha »

Hi st_phan,

A barrier to your excellent icons being included as the default icons is that they do not match the silhouetted constraint markers in the work area. The 'Fix a point onto an object' constraint icon looks very different to the marker, for example. Are you able to update the markers in the work area to match your new icons using the IconThemes workbench?

obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I believe those markers are pixmaps hard coded into FreeCAD and not easily customized.
Meetlat

Post by Meetlat »

Hi st_phan, I really like your icons. It gives Freecad a much needed modern look. I noticed that the icons are slightly smaller than the original ones. In my opinion the gap between the icons becomes to big. Small detail, not really important for now perhaps? But I wanted to show you with an overlay of the icons, see attachment.

None the less, I really like the icons and I'm looking forward to the next iteration.
Attachments
Feedback icons.jpg
Feedback icons.jpg (149.59 KiB) Viewed 4104 times