Custom cursors and high dpi (Windows and MacOS testers needed)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Custom cursors and high dpi (Windows and MacOS testers needed)

Post by openBrain »

vanuan wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:50 am I mean that not all icons are the same. Some touch the crosshair, some don't. Compare line and rectangle cursors for example.
:? Here all cursors always have the symbol bottom right of crosshair. Which seems sensible. ;)

EDIT:
cursor.png
cursor.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
mikeprice99

Post by mikeprice99 »

If you do want the cursors recreated in svg, it's now taking me less than 5 minutes per cursor.
Here's a few attached (If you open up the file in an xml editor you'll realise that there is very little difference between each one.)
If you want to view them large scale, change height="64" width="64" to viewBox="0 0 64 64" and drop them on your web browser.
Attachments
cursor_line.svg
(548 Bytes) Downloaded 52 times
cursor_slot.svg
(551 Bytes) Downloaded 63 times
cursor_rect.svg
(553 Bytes) Downloaded 45 times
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

openBrain wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:54 am
vanuan wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:50 am I mean that not all icons are the same. Some touch the crosshair, some don't. Compare line and rectangle cursors for example.
:? Here all cursors always have the symbol bottom right of crosshair. Which seems sensible. ;)
For the line it's bottom right of the center, for rectangle it's bottom right of the crosshair
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

mikeprice99 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:51 am If you do want the cursors recreated in svg, it's now taking me less than 5 minutes per cursor.
Great! Incorporated in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3712
mikeprice99

Post by mikeprice99 »

vanuan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:19 am Great! Incorporated in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3712
Thanks - its very rewarding for contributors like me to see our efforts quickly adopted.
Meanwhile, I note your PR uses the older version for the slot svg. Note in the commit diff how large and bloated it is.

The problem with the SVGs generated by Inkscape and other graphics apps are:
1/ Inclusion of unused data (eg the slot svg contains 8 unused gradient definitions)
2/ Unnecessary transformations. eg an element is drawn at one location then moved to the correct position. (eg transform="translate(0,-988.36218)">)
3/ Vector locations use ridiculous floating point numbers: we're playing with a 64 x 64 grid - yet a simple position is given as (eg cx="225.26402" )
4/ Include unnecessary element ids: elements only need id if they need to be referenced by other elements, but I use them to make the source readable. For instance I give an id crosshair for the actual crosshair definition.

I'll now do a few more and upload them here.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

vanuan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:19 am Great! Incorporated in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3712
Could you please interactively rebase your branch and squash/fixup your commits so they are presented in a logical condensed way (eg. you can merge all the commits that handles change to SVG icons) ?
Could you also indicate your PR isn't ready to merge yet so maintainers doesn't consume time looking at it ?
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

openBrain wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:12 am
Could you please interactively rebase your branch and squash/fixup your commits so they are presented in a logical condensed way (eg. you can merge all the commits that handles change to SVG icons) ?
Could you also indicate your PR isn't ready to merge yet so maintainers doesn't consume time looking at it ?
I can squash all the commits if it would be easier to review. It is ready to review and merge, nothing is broken.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

vanuan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:09 am I can squash all the commits if it would be easier to review.
I didn't have a close look. Maybe git commit fdfda05 and git commit a3af118 that add implementation can be kept separated.
git commit 7720654 can be merged as fixup of commit it fixes.
All others changing to SVG can be squashed IMO.
It is ready to review and merge, nothing is broken.
It's definitely not ready. Not all symbols are ported to SVG, this is totally partial. While 0.19 is coming closer to release every day, this is really not sensible to merge such an unfinished PR.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

openBrain wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:21 am Not all symbols are ported to SVG, this is totally partial
Please, define "all"
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Polyline, arc, circle, ellipse, ... cursors are still defined as XPM.