[UX Request] Less invasive Sketcher modal dialog informing coincedent contraint deleted and is now tangent

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [UX Request] Less invasive Sketcher modal dialog informing coincedent contraint deleted and is now tangent

Post by Kunda1 »

abdullah wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:30 pm Sorry for so much delay. March is being specially tough on me.

I have merged the functionality with some changes to fully reuse the old parameter. It looks like this now:

The sketcher preferences remain unchanged, so it is possible to re-activate the modal dialogs from there as needed.
Thanks for your work and also everyone involved. I appreciate it very much and hope your circumstances will become more spacious, abdullah ;)
(you too davidosterberg)

I'd like to discuss what I'm noticing is an unmet need from an uninformed user perspective. That is, the end-user still doesn't know they are committing a 'sloppy' method that the solver corrects for them. @regularfry repeats the need several times in this thread.
regularfry wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:31 pm This is a dialog that I see *regularly*. If there's a workflow that avoids it, my questions are a) what is that workflow? and b) what would need to change to guide people into that workflow? Again, I *still* don't have a good answer for a), one hasn't surfaced on this thread. If going the documentation route, that answer needs to be in the documentation.
That's an indication (IMHO) that we should provide a way via the UI to do so. So my idea is to provide a Learn more... hyperlink in the dialog box as well that will link to an 'Error & Warnings' page on the wiki that explores the issue in more depth.

Thoughts?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
abdullah
Veteran

Re: [UX Request] Less invasive Sketcher modal dialog informing coincedent contraint deleted and is now tangent

Post by abdullah »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:04 am That's an indication (IMHO) that we should provide a way via the UI to do so. So my idea is to provide a Learn more... hyperlink in the dialog box as well that will link to an 'Error & Warnings' page on the wiki that explores the issue in more depth.

Thoughts?
When I merged it, I remembered you indication of a hyperlink (apparently I have selective longer-term memory for some extraordinary people). I was seriously considering adding one. The main issue for me is that there is no wiki page on constraint substitution (or I miserably failed to find it).

Then, there were other aspects I did not arrive to consider because I found no page.
1) A link should preferably be the same over versions, to avoid to have to change links when documentation is updated (unless it is a major change). I am not sure if we have such a link.
2) Should the link be to the internet, to offline documentation? offline documentation may not be installed. The computer may not be connected to the internet. Is there any precedent in FreeCAD? (I think assembly WB has a hyperlink to the internet in one of this "checkbox" modal dialogs)

So, I reply with more questions...;)