New icon for the Part container (App::Part)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
davidosterberg

New icon for the Part container (App::Part)

Post by davidosterberg »

Hi all

Based on discussion in another forum thread
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56055

Zolko proposed that the current logo of the Assembly4 workbench could be used as an improved logo of the now, often misunderstood Part container.
The fundamental problem with the old icon is that it does not show that the part container can contain almost anything. Solids, bodies, spreadsheets, other parts, links etc. The new icon addresses this problem. The idea was welcomed by several in the referenceced thread. None the less the UX/UI forum should be consulted in such matters so here I am.
part_icon.png
part_icon.png (40.62 KiB) Viewed 3128 times

I have already created a PR for this here
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4567

If you have other proposals, please post them here. It is not too late to come with an even better icon.
Zolko
Veteran

Re: New icon for the Part container (App::Part)

Post by Zolko »

davidosterberg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:24 pm I have already created a PR for this here
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4567
There is a mistake in the icon, as I had mixed the Body and Part icons, I didn't realise that the outlines are of slightly different colours. In the attached file that is corrected, all outlines are the darker one.
Attachments
part_icon.svg
(15.16 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

wouldn't something like this be more correct?
Geofeaturegroup.png
Geofeaturegroup.png (8.02 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
Geofeaturegroup.svg
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:49 pm wouldn't something like this be more correct?
Geofeaturegroup.png
Geofeaturegroup.svg
What is the difference? :)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

davidosterberg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:03 pm What is the difference? :)
The outline colors: the PR's version uses a dark blue outline for the yellow part and a dark yellow outline for the blue part, zolko's second version uses dark blue for all, this uses dark yellow for the yellow part and dark blue for the blue part.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:17 pm
davidosterberg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:03 pm What is the difference? :)
The outline colors: the PR's version uses a dark blue outline for the yellow part and a dark yellow outline for the blue part, zolko's second version uses dark blue for all, this uses dark yellow for the yellow part and dark blue for the blue part.
Alright. After staring at it for a while I could finally see the difference. I think I prefer Zolko version 2, so that is what I have updated the PR with now. Not feeling strongly about it though, so if there is consensus another way I can change again.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Other multicolored icons also do this:
Image Image Image Image

taken from Artwork_Gui. The icons follow the Artwork_Guidelines
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I stared at it as well, but I still cannot see the difference. So I don't mind which of both identical looking icons you take :lol: .

But I would like to see all lines parallel. The top yellow face on the lower step has non parallel front and back line.

I said it already in the other topic that I would like to see three different colors. I will try to get going with Inkscape and the shading.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here are my proposals. The yellow one has corrected lines being now isometric (not really important); the other shows three different items in the Part container.
I don't think that FreeCAD becomes completely useless and I will not abandon FreeCAD, if something else is chosen :).
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-04 um 10.34.37.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-04 um 10.34.37.png (68.19 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-04 um 10.35.19.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-04 um 10.35.19.png (69.78 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Attachments
part_icon_red.svg
(15.38 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
part_icon_yellow.svg
(15.15 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:41 am Here are my proposals. The yellow one has corrected lines being now isometric (not really important); the other shows three different items in the Part container.
I actually prefer the perspective lines. But you're right about the blue outline being parallel to the yellow one. How about:

part_new.png
part_new.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 2862 times

Yellow stands for the traditional Part, blue for bodies and solids, and green for links (I was careful for all the outline colours this time, and everything is pixel-perfect aligned)
Attachments
part_new.svg
(9.06 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here