UI Improvements / Vertical UI Proposition

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Petrikas

Re: UI Improvements / Vertical UI Proposition

Post by Petrikas »

carlopav wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:36 am tooltip2.gif
Good suggestion for the "what's this"!
Here comes the PR#4978.
Wow! That's the dream scenario, having both the Name and the command. Perfectly executed, that looks very good.

Thank you so much for your work!
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

PR#4978 has been merged by Yorik, commit ca043dc (ca043dcb6d20d70b8e24d75e810683214eecc5d4). Many thanks to @chennes, I woudn't have gone far without your suggestions :)

chennes wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:46 pm :)
@chennes may I ask you if there are other suggestion by Petrikas from this topic that you would like to help me to address? I'd really like to see new 'dropdown' indicator and locking/unlocking toolbars implemented :)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Petrikas wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:09 am ping
I'm doing a bit of speculation here guys :) (and I hope what i'm going to write makes at least a little bit of sense)

Since @chennes was so kind to help us to fix the improved tooltips, I was thinking we can help him to test his PR on Preference Pack :)
@Petrikas, how does it sound to build a package metadata file with your proposed configuration?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58210
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

carlopav wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 am
Petrikas wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:09 am ping
I'm doing a bit of speculation here guys :) (and I hope what i'm going to write makes at least a little bit of sense)

Since @chennes was so kind to help us to fix the improved tooltips, I was thinking we can help him to test his PR on Preference Pack :)
@Petrikas, how does it sound to build a package metadata file with your proposed configuration?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58210
I'd love to! Is there documentation I can read on how to test PRs?
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Petrikas wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:33 pm I'd love to! Is there documentation I can read on how to test PRs?
First, thank you @carlopav for the suggestion, I of course would greatly appreciate more testers. Each PR is different, so what it needs for testing is also different (unless you are just asking how to check it out, that's the same for all of them, so let me know if that's what you need help with).

I'll add some notes to the top of the PR about some suggestions for testing.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

carlopav wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:38 am @chennes may I ask you if there are other suggestion by Petrikas from this topic that you would like to help me to address? I'd really like to see new 'dropdown' indicator and locking/unlocking toolbars implemented :)
I'm happy to help with those things. I'm usually available on Gitter (or the various bridges to IRC, etc.) if that's your preference , or we can coordinate here on the forums.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

chennes wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:04 pm I'll add some notes to the top of the PR about some suggestions for testing.
That's really appreciated :) I also just checked it out, but I didnt' get straight away what I was supposed to do.
Did I got it correctly that a preference pack can be used to customize the UI the way @Petrikas show in the first topic of the post?
chennes wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:31 pm I'm happy to help with those things. I'm usually available on Gitter (or the various bridges to IRC, etc.) if that's your preference , or we can coordinate here on the forums.
great! thanks!
Petrikas wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:33 pm I'd love to! Is there documentation I can read on how to test PRs?
I assume you don't have FC compiled, is it?
You would have to fetch the source code of FreeCAD and checkout the PR branch on git. Developing_FreeCAD_with_GitKraken it's a lot easier than using git from command line.
Then you have to compile FreeCAD from source: Compile_on_Windows.
If you are curious to try and need help feel free to write me, i'd be happy to help to get you on the track :)
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

carlopav wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:32 pm Did I got it correctly that a preference pack can be used to customize the UI the way @Petrikas show in the first topic of the post?
A Preference Pack is really just a user.cfg file that can be applied on top of your existing user.cfg -- anything that can be changed by a setting in that file can be changed by a preference pack (plus a preference pack can run a macro on application, so that allows you to change anything else you can change from Python, though I'd discourage using it to change things that a user can't easily change back if they don't like it).

My long-term hope/expectation for these things is a proliferation of "hidden" user preferences that are used to control things like "do the dividers show between toolbar areas?" -- these preferences can be set by applying preference packs, giving much greater levels of customization than are currently possible only using the GUI.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

chennes wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:48 pm A Preference Pack is really just a user.cfg file that can be applied on top of your existing user.cfg -- anything that can be changed by a setting in that file can be changed by a preference pack.
Got it! thx for the explanation. So for example the qt stylesheet name, and all the other parameters that @Petrikas was setting with a macro... great!

@Petrikas I installed and tried your StyleSheet (using windows 10). really amazing. I didn't know that you can change so much in the UI using just the qss stylesheet...

So probably the last thing that would be missing and have to be hardcoded is the possibility to lock the toolbars...

PS I noticed a problem with QPushButtons:
Cattura.JPG
Cattura.JPG (19.52 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
if I hover the area "1" the button highlights but the click is not effective. To be effective the button have to be clicked in the area "2". Do you experience the same? That's the same with all the qss stylesheets for me.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

carlopav wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:10 pm if I hover the area "1" the button highlights but the click is not effective
That's a known bug in Qt 5.15.2 and lower, and was fixed in 5.15.3 (or maybe fixed in .2? Can't remember exactly, but it's an upstream bug that's been fixed).
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System