[Solved] Is there any point of the progress bar?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
turn211

[Solved] Is there any point of the progress bar?

Post by turn211 »

Started FreeCAD as any normal user would. From Startpage created new Document and "POW!" 100% progress bar. To myself, so what. To a new user, I would suspect Panic. As discussed in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=57718 nobody knows why. So lets remove it. Simple. I can't see a benefit of the progress bar nowadays.
Last edited by turn211 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Is there any point of the progress bar? Lets remove it.

Post by Roy_043 »

I disagree that the progress bar is obsolete. When working with large and complex models it definitely makes sense.
turn211

Post by turn211 »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:56 am I disagree that the progress bar is obsolete. When working with large and complex models it definitely makes sense.
Fair point for old computers. Users that I promote the use of FreeCAD to come back to me with "FreeCAD is too buggy and consumes 100% of my resources" as they naturally create a new document from the Startpage. Of course this not true, but the 100% progress bar says otherwise. I'll file a bug.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I'm very happy about the progress bar on a regular basis. Especially when I'm filling up gigs of RAM :mrgreen: :roll:
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

turn211 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:01 am Started FreeCAD as any normal user would. From Startpage created new Document and "POW!" 100% progress bar. To myself, so what. To a new user, I would suspect Panic. As discussed in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=57718 nobody knows why. So lets remove it. Simple. I can't see a benefit of the progress bar nowadays.
I agree.

The whole status bar is a really bad waste of screen real-estate. I personally disable it.
  • Tooltips appear when you hover over tools
  • Controls is set-and-forget
  • Scale of viewport is nice, but it doesn't give you any actual, meaningful information
I'd love the progress bar to be auto-hide, so it only appears when on the change of percentage (as opposed to showing 0% or 100% all of the time)

It definitely does not need 40px in height and full width of the screen.
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
turn211

Post by turn211 »

Petrikas wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:50 am I agree.
The whole status bar is a really bad waste of screen real-estate. I personally disable it.
  • Tooltips appear when you hover over tools
  • Controls is set-and-forget
  • Scale of viewport is nice, but it doesn't give you any actual, meaningful information
I'd love the progress bar to be auto-hide, so it only appears when on the change of percentage (as opposed to showing 0% or 100% all of the time)
It definitely does not need 40px in height and full width of the screen.
I agree with your points. Problems I see with both our ideas are:
  • Too many FreeCAD users have old under powered computers, so they like to see something as their computers are chugging away
  • Getting rid of status bar is great for Mechanical modelling but not for Architecture as we use the Navigator and BIM widgets nonstop(which are located in the status bar), but in a moveable Toolbar they could be docked somewhere else (i.e. right lower left)
The easiest solution might be to have the whole status bar autohide.
Also, the ability to hide tabs for documents would be nice, as they are available in the Windows menu and take up a lot of real estate. Most monitors are 16x9 aspect, so we need all the vertical we can get. :D
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Without filter: this is really the dumbest i heard in the forum here. If a mod ban me for that, i am fine.
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

turn211 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm Too many FreeCAD users have old under powered computers, so they like to see something as their computers are chugging away
Yep, that's why I mentioned appearing on a percentage change. Similar to what Fusion360 does. The bar is not visible until it's actually moving. Actual auto-hiding might be annoying.
Architecture as we use the Navigator and BIM widgets
Hmm, what are operator buttons doing in the "status bar"? :D
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
turn211

Post by turn211 »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:44 pm Without filter: this is really the dumbest i heard in the forum here. If a mod ban me for that, i am fine.
Thanks! You seem like the smartest person on this Forum, so you fixing it shouldn't be a problem https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=57718
turn211

Post by turn211 »

Petrikas wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:29 pm
turn211 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm Too many FreeCAD users have old under powered computers, so they like to see something as their computers are chugging away
Yep, that's why I mentioned appearing on a percentage change. Similar to what Fusion360 does. The bar is not visible until it's actually moving. Actual auto-hiding might be annoying.
Architecture as we use the Navigator and BIM widgets
Hmm, what are operator buttons doing in the "status bar"? :D
Your Vertical UI solution is very enjoyable to use. Great job! Yes, all Widgets in the Status bar should be moveable. By using a solution like https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 1&start=50 maybe one could package a Modelling Layout, a Architecture Layout, etc. This way, one camp wouldn't need the fluff of the other. Of course widgets would need to be moveable, dockable etc.