Possible New FreeCAD Logo

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Possible New FreeCAD Logo

Post by openBrain »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:24 pm On that, we couldn't disagree more. Having a fantastic logo on bad software does nothing to improve it. On the other hand, a poor logo on great software will be easily forgiven.
I could personally second this as I mainly drive my choices by what things/people do. Not what they look like. Unfortunately I have to admit that this isn't the way world mainly runs. How many people live (finely) with a sh***y software/appliance because of good marketing/branding? Obviously a super good looking logo will bring more people to FreeCAD. Knowing if this would be kind of people interesting in discussing/contributing is another question (I know you know what I think of that :lol:).
I also think when comparing interest in logo vs. icons, fame & pride should be took into account. Guys that drew Tux or Wilber got their names somewhere. Not the ones that drew the icons. :) Is that a bad shortcut to consider that ones that are sensitive to how things look like, also generally care of their egos? :)
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

ragohix769 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:54 pm
That's a good question, and partially I agree with you. But if you see other successful (big) OSS projects, nobody has a "free" word in it.

Maybe "Open", but not "free". Blender, Ardour, OpenOffice, Linux, Apache, etc etc...

The only exception it's "Libre" with librecad, libreoffice, etc etc, but because "free" in english mean a lot more then other languages (this is why "Free"Software, IE in Italian, it's translated with "SoftwareLibero", not "SoftwareGRATIS").
https://www.freebsd.org/
http://www.freeciv.org/
https://freeradius.org/
https://www.freetype.org/
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:45 pm
ragohix769 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:45 pm I'd like also to imagine a change in the name from FreeCAD to => FCAD (of course it's only my opinion and suggestion!)

Because, IMHO, in work and professional world the word "free" into the name of product or service, it's not so good to have: it's perceived (and of course it's completely wrong!) like a not good option to use because it's free.
If people don't appreciate - leave alone support - the FreeDOM which FreeCAD provides, why should we be interested that they use it?
That's a good question, and partially I agree with you. But if you see other successful (big) OSS projects, nobody has a "free" word in it.

Maybe "Open", but not "free". Blender, Ardour, OpenOffice, Linux, Apache, etc etc...

The only exception it's "Libre" with librecad, libreoffice, etc etc, but because "free" in english mean a lot more then other languages (this is why "Free"Software, IE in Italian, it's translated with "SoftwareLibero", not "SoftwareGRATIS").
These are very good points. We use FreeCAD not because it's Free (money-wise), but because it gives us Freedom, because it's Open source, community built. However the word "Free" primarily indicates purchase value, and it's what people associate it with, because that's a full word in front of the word CAD. Whereas 'FCAD' could potentially mean Freedom CAD (but probably could also be associated with profanity)

Either way, I think campaigning for a name change is a lost cause, as it would require too many resources that FreeCAD doesn't and will never have (as things start to pile up)
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

openBrain wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 pm
sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:24 pm On that, we couldn't disagree more. Having a fantastic logo on bad software does nothing to improve it. On the other hand, a poor logo on great software will be easily forgiven.
I could personally second this as I mainly drive my choices by what things/people do. Not what they look like. Unfortunately I have to admit that this isn't the way world mainly runs. How many people live (finely) with a sh***y software/appliance because of good marketing/branding? Obviously a super good looking logo will bring more people to FreeCAD. Knowing if this would be kind of people interesting in discussing/contributing is another question (I know you know what I think of that :lol:).
I also think when comparing interest in logo vs. icons, fame & pride should be took into account. Guys that drew Tux or Wilber got their names somewhere. Not the ones that drew the icons. :) Is that a bad shortcut to consider that ones that are sensitive to how things look like, also generally care of their egos? :)
You've just dismissed the whole sector of Design (Product Design, UI/UX, Graphic Design)

There are people who appreciate aesthetics and people who are impartial to it. There are almost no people who HATE what's universally considered good aesthetics. And people who do appreciate aesthetics want everything to look nice, because 1kg of poop can ruin 100kg of jam. And it's not because of their ego, or because they're too succeedable to marketing.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:06 pm

https://www.freebsd.org/
http://www.freeciv.org/
https://freeradius.org/
https://www.freetype.org/
I said "successful" projects, I mean famous and large scale used. Maybe FreeBSD it's a valid exception, ok, but I repeat that's because in English free mean a lot more the in other languages, and that's a problem. "Free", unfortunately, is intentend "for free" in the real world, not free as "liber" (Latin), that's why IMHO it's not good to be in the name.

FCAD it's only a suggestion, of course.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Petrikas wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:20 pm There are people who appreciate aesthetics and people who are impartial to it. There are almost no people who HATE what's universally considered good aesthetics. And people who do appreciate aesthetics want everything to look nice, because 1kg of poop can ruin 100kg of jam. And it's not because of their ego, or because they're too succeedable to marketing.
Maybe the project leaders haven't acted a logo suggestion because they're waiting for one to be 'universally considered good'. I doubt that will ever happen because it is too much a matter of taste.

Here's another unpopular opinion: I think we should categorically reject any logo not designed in FreeCAD. Flame on.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Petrikas wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 pm Either way, I think campaigning for a name change is a lost cause, as it would require too many resources that FreeCAD doesn't and will never have (as things start to pile up)
I know, and of course I don't want to start a campaingn to change the name, it was only an "unsolicided" and "free" (free as in speech, not a free beer ;-) ) suggestion :-)
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:26 pm
Petrikas wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:20 pm There are people who appreciate aesthetics and people who are impartial to it. There are almost no people who HATE what's universally considered good aesthetics. And people who do appreciate aesthetics want everything to look nice, because 1kg of poop can ruin 100kg of jam. And it's not because of their ego, or because they're too succeedable to marketing.
Maybe the project leaders haven't acted a logo suggestion because they're waiting for one to be 'universally considered good'. I doubt that will ever happen because it is too much a matter of taste.

Here's another unpopular opinion: I think we should categorically reject any logo not designed in FreeCAD. Flame on.
There's voting.

???
While we're at it, let's use a bicycle for a ladder.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Petrikas wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:33 pm There's voting.
Do you really think that'll put an end to the issue?
???

Why the patronizing tone? I already said it was an unpopular opinion.

My point is that the design exists in an ecosystem. What if I want to incorporate a logo inside a design file, say for a milling vise. Logos designed in other tool are more limiting for further FreeCAD work.

Logos designed IN FreeCAD have more intrinsic value TO FreeCAD
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:12 pm
Petrikas wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:33 pm There's voting.
Do you really think that'll put an end to the issue?
???

Why the patronizing tone? I already said it was an unpopular opinion.

My point is that the design exists in an ecosystem. What if I want to incorporate a logo inside a design file, say for a milling vise. Logos designed in other tool are more limiting for further FreeCAD work.

Logos designed IN FreeCAD have more intrinsic value TO FreeCAD
Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising. I just wanted to properly express my confusion about the statement.
Most logos are designed using vector graphics. We have different vector exchange formats that are universally acceptable and usable, such as SVG.

You can import any SVG and save it in FreeCAD, call it made in FreeCAD? Or am I missing something here?