Possible New FreeCAD Logo

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Gavinlynas

Possible New FreeCAD Logo

Post by Gavinlynas »

Hello

Dont know much about FreeCAD other than it seems to be pretty good for a free program, a diamond in the rough as they say. Having seen the massive amount of attention and improvement Blender 3D has gotten over recent years, I cant help but feel that it was largely spurred on due to its overall image being improved, mainly the UI being better organised and sleeker looking. It started to look more professional and people started taking it more seriously. Id like to see this program get the attention it deserves as well.
If a program doesnt look good people will just try it out, agree that its good, and move on because there are other more popular professional/ highend programs out there that do the same thing. I believe you will attract much more contributers/helpers simply by revamping the overall image/ UI of your program. First and foremost...your logo...its terrible...sorry but it probably hurting you really bad,more than you realise. I think a lot of people have skipped even trying your program just by seeing that logo alone, I almost did. Think of a resturant that doesnt look good on the outside, do you want to go see how good the food is?

So it got me wondering, since I briefly studied logo design in college, what would I design it like??? After much messing around Ive come up with one (with a few minor variations). The overall shape is a hexagon suggesting the head of a bolt which firstly looks cool as a shape and secondly has something to do with fastening mechanical parts together (CAD programs are used to design mechinal parts so theres that association). Also the grid pattern is graph lines, again it adds a little extra texture and is used in mechanical part design. The font is more edgy looking but not too much, making the overall feel a touch more impressive. Enjoy (or not). Cheers.
Attachments
FreeCad Logo (Multiple).png
FreeCad Logo (Multiple).png (62.73 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
carlopav
Veteran

Re: Possible New FreeCAD Logo

Post by carlopav »

Nice, I like It!
Can you add It to the logo gallery topic?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I really like this one, but there's been endless discussions about changing the logo before and it seems there's not much interest from the leadership or agreement in the community.
See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28941 and https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=50640
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

I'd suggest anyway to add It to the logos gallery, hoping that for the 0.20 release schedule there could be a moment to think about the logo (and the splash screen) with less rush compared to 0.19 release.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
duarte.framos

Post by duarte.framos »

These look pretty good. FreeCad could sure use an image facelift.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Yes if we ever get to decide a new logo from voting I think I would vote for this one. OP: please post your logo in the linked logo gallery thread, preferably as a .svg file
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

I like it too, very polished and cute logo, bravo!

I'd like also to imagine a change in the name from FreeCAD to => FCAD (of course it's only my opinion and suggestion!)

Because, IMHO, in work and professional world the word "free" into the name of product or service, it's not so good to have: it's perceived (and of course it's completely wrong!) like a not good option to use because it's free.
Last edited by ragohix769 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I gotta ask. What's the deal with the logo? Is it a prestige thing?
I don't mean to be critical and I encourage people to contribute in any way they wish. I'm just very curious why it's ALWAYS the friggin logo!

Below is the main setup panel for the job in the Path workbench. It's ugly with many buttons that are missing icons entirely. But in all the years I've been working on Path I've never gotten a single unsolicited icon contribution. We get logo submissions every 2 or 3 months. Dozens of them.

There are tons of places in FreeCAD that could benefit from the kinds of skills OP and others are demonstrating but it's like nobody wants to work on anything except the marquee. Please help me understand.
2021-06-23_08-56.png
2021-06-23_08-56.png (53.74 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm I gotta ask. What's the deal with the logo? Is it a prestige thing?
The logo is the first thing you see, you can actually tell a lot about software from its logo. It's like a book cover.
People are visual beings. We fall in love with our eyes first.

The current logo worked fine for Windows 3.1, but it has no place among modern UI and modern systems. There are so many things wrong with it, that any person feels like they can improve it. And most of them are right.

-------

Regarding this logo - loving the last one. Clean and simple. Icon looks good on its own, well balanced, looks good at all sizes. Awesome!
Personally, I'd go for different colours, not sure how CAD and colour RED are related (red signifies error or energy / aggression, etc.). Not sure how I feel about the red/blue tandem either. But that's just my opinion, if we're sharing :)
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Petrikas wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 pm
Regarding this logo - loving the last one. Clean and simple. Icon looks good on its own, well balanced, looks good at all sizes. Awesome!
Personally, I'd go for different colours, not sure how CAD and colour RED are related (red signifies error or energy / aggression, etc.). Not sure how I feel about the red/blue tandem either. But that's just my opinion, if we're sharing :)
I agree.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)