Possible New FreeCAD Logo

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Possible New FreeCAD Logo

Post by sliptonic »

Remember the Taylor Swift concert? Remember Boaty McBoatface? How about the bridge named 'Chuck Norris'?

If there's one thing we've learned about voting on the internet it's this; Don't let the internet vote.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

carlopav wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 pm Yes, please, can you? I think we are at the good point of the development cycle for such a task.
Can I ? yes, everyone can. Do I want to? I'm not sure...
Petrikas wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:32 pm That's okay, we'll just overwrite old FreeCAD.ico with new FreeCAD.ico. Job's done.
I mean all icons in all workbenchs :twisted: , right know, we try to follow tango theme. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=19320
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Ok, you won guys. Goodnight, see ya at next logo proposal topic.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Petrikas wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:32 pm
rockn wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:28 pm Maybe we should start by a vote/discussion about changing or not the logo ? :mrgreen:

Oh ! and the winner must change all FreeCAD icons according to his new logo design :geek:
That's actually a great idea, the first one. But that would need to be done in a very objective way.
Maybe we should start with a vote/discussion about what are the definition/criteria of a very objective way of voting/discussing...
Stack overflow... Infinite loop detected
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm If there's one thing we've learned about voting on the internet it's this; Don't let the internet vote.
There's some truth to this...
I'm not sure it really universally applies but then again look at the dumpster fire that is reddit.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm
Below is the main setup panel for the job in the Path workbench. It's ugly with many buttons that are missing icons entirely. But in all the years I've been working on Path I've never gotten a single unsolicited icon contribution. We get logo submissions every 2 or 3 months. Dozens of them.
I am not familiar with Path WB. Can you start a thread about what need to be improve and where in this workbench? This way, I will see if I can help (right now I am doing some standardization tasks with icons).
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
pachiburke

Post by pachiburke »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm I gotta ask. What's the deal with the logo? Is it a prestige thing?
I don't mean to be critical and I encourage people to contribute in any way they wish. I'm just very curious why it's ALWAYS the friggin logo!
I think that everyone has started opensource contributions with something that is "obvious" or simple, as one of the first barriers is knowing the contribution process so, in a sense, this kind of submissions are expected. Hasn't everybody started contributing by submitting doc patches, fixing trivial typos or small bugs? Isn't this about scratching an itch?

Also, as a software that is used by some design oriented people it's also natural that they try to contribute to those aspects that they know better and have more skills. In that sense, designing a logo and creating icons or improving the UX of a dialog are very different kind of tasks.

Furthermore, I would find concerning for the future of the FreeCAD project that contributions to docs, community building or artwork were considered second class, and dismissed because they are just not code.
sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm Below is the main setup panel for the job in the Path workbench. It's ugly with many buttons that are missing icons entirely. But in all the years I've been working on Path I've never gotten a single unsolicited icon contribution. We get logo submissions every 2 or 3 months. Dozens of them.
Improving the user experience and design of a panel, without further direction, needs someone that is familiar with the tool and can tell with precision what every button / area does. In some projects (Rust, Gnome...) there are some "easy" bugs in the bug tracker that have more exhaustive steps and instructions to get them fixed. They are mostly prepared as a way to start contributing and get people engaged in the areas that need more contributors. Are there design issues in the bug tracker? Does anyone who can craft icons but don't know the Path WB have an overview of what doesn't work in that dialog, what is missing? Is there a public request for help in that area?
sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm There are tons of places in FreeCAD that could benefit from the kinds of skills OP and others are demonstrating but it's like nobody wants to work on anything except the marquee. Please help me understand.
Hope this helps.

And, by the way, I find the proposed logo very good and I would only be concerned if the font is not free.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

pachiburke wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:30 am the user experience and design of a panel, without further direction, needs someone that is familiar with the tool and can tell with precision what every button / area does.
The point are the "further directions". Agryson, who created lots of icons, wasn't familiar with all of the functions he created icons for. He was a designer, asked for peoples ideas, made a proposals, got comments, made a final version. The results were/are impressive.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

obelisk79 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:46 pm
sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm If there's one thing we've learned about voting on the internet it's this; Don't let the internet vote.
There's some truth to this...
I'm not sure it really universally applies but then again look at the dumpster fire that is reddit.
A vote needs to happen, one way or another, otherwise, nothing is going to change, ever.

Fine. We can go from direct democracy to meritocracy: not everyone should be allowed to vote (especially not people who are impartial about software looking one way or another, or "don't care" about aesthetics).
We could build a committee of ~20 people with proof that they have a background in some area of design? Let them vote on all submissions, then narrow it down to 5, then to 2, and then pick one?
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
pachiburke

Post by pachiburke »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:15 am
pachiburke wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:30 am the user experience and design of a panel, without further direction, needs someone that is familiar with the tool and can tell with precision what every button / area does.
The point are the "further directions". Agryson, who created lots of icons, wasn't familiar with all of the functions he created icons for. He was a designer, asked for peoples ideas, made a proposals, got comments, made a final version. The results were/are impressive.
Well, yes, but maybe he wouldn't have done anything like that if the first reaction were "Why keep people reworking icons when we already have many and there are parts of the app that don't have them?". Agryson was, for sure, right in their strategy to reach consensus, get feedback, etc, but maybe that's because they were already more experienced in this community, or had more time, wanted a far reaching contribution or whatever reasons. IMHO, it's only that it would be a pity if everyone that could make a difference for FreeCAD can't because they lack those abilities (or hasn't learnt them).

As a positive note, I find @bitacovir's request for more information on the design needs a great idea. Do we have a clear idea of UI elements that are clearly missing a design review?

Also, having issues tagged with a "design" or "needs_design" labels, as well as mentored issues in that area could be something to explore. Sorry if this already exists but, in my case, I find the mantis issue tracker particularly difficult to use.