My take on the FreeCAD GUI

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
br4n_d0n

Re: My take on the FreeCAD GUI

Post by br4n_d0n »

I think Aleks should just push ahead for now or we'll get nowhere at this rate.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Aleks wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 pmI think that you are wrong on that one because its very easy in this case.
And you do not think that would be biased? On every former construction office i worked, the CAD station was without an internet. And in my firm that is also the case. (Every screenshot and file i send here is transferred or made from my "dirty" device). Also i do not know, who would turn this on unconstrained. Maybe some fusion refugees, which make some frigging vases, tend to this. But they are no serious benchmark.

Also i do not know if this have maybe an effect on repositories like debian. As far as i know the debian maintainer do not like that. (When i remember correctly, the startpage on FreeCAD was an issue in this subject years ago, please correct me if i am wrong).
Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 pmaudacity screwed up royally with telemetry
wtf? What do they thinking?

Also a note: this days i heard a radio show where the subject was the nowadays internet security with security experts. The conclusion was simply, because every thing (like freezer and other "smart" objects) and many programs have open internet doors, we will get in trouble soon (or parts are now in trouble because of this, see REvil or ransomware), when we do not stop with that.

Greetings
user1234

edit: typo
br4n_d0n

Post by br4n_d0n »

I also feel that telemetry or analytics stuff should not be in the program. I very much dislike when any software is calling home or sending any kind of information out to the internet if I don't explicitly tell it to do so.

Anyways, I've noticed that you (@user1234) have been quite negative in this thread. Especially with comments like these.
user1234 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:51 pm
Aleks wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:47 pm I thought about new users of FreeCAD
FreeCAD is a CAD program for engineers and hobbyist, no marketing firm. Do not set style over substance.
user1234 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:06 am Maybe some fusion refugees, which make some frigging vases, tend to this. But they are no serious benchmark.
I'm not saying you cannot speak your mind, but it should be contributing and not you just venting your biased feelings about certain types of users. If you don't like a new look and feel to the program, that's fine because you're entitled to your own opinion, but keep in mind your opinion is just that. So, please try to positively contribute to this thread or just leave because it's not helping us.
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

Loging command usage and sending it on explicit-opt-in is just an idea. Do you have any other ideas on how to optimize the GUI for beginners and general users with the goal to design and produce machines? I think it would be more productive of only people who work with a similar workflow themselves would comment.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

Just to let everyone know how this is going to continue. I am going to refine the GUI with time and when I think that its ready, I may implement it. I see this thread as a place to document the progress, so I am able to find information on it again as time passes. If you have any ideas on specific (G)UI features then just comment here. You dont even have to think about the implementation yet. Use programs like Powerpoint to quickly sketch out your ideas. Lets be creative.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I think at this point, you'd probably get the best response by starting to implement any general system-wide changes, and then start with something like part-design and sketcher toolbars and tweak based on user feedback. The ui is flexible enough already that I think we're 90% there, it just needs a lot of layout optimization so the defaults are more intuitive for new users.

I'd also suggest you look at and consider leveraging the work being done here in your endeavor:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58210
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4787

This would afford a lot of flexibility in seeing what can be done explicitly within the confines of what the UI is currently capable of and allow for tweaks, adjustments and sharing of layouts etc. It would also provide some rigor in testing the linked pull request as it would be a pleasant addition to FreeCAD and likely tie-in nicely with your efforts.
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

obelisk79 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:03 pm I think at this point, you'd probably get the best response by starting to implement any general system-wide changes, and then start with something like part-design and sketcher toolbars and tweak based on user feedback. The ui is flexible enough already that I think we're 90% there, it just needs a lot of layout optimization so the defaults are more intuitive for new users.
Thank you for your suggestion. If I implement the UI, I would obviously use as many features as possible, that have already been implemented. But this thread isnt about the technical implementation of a UI. Its more about the work on a new UI concept. Its goal is to come up with the best possible UI with the intended workflow.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I absolutely understand. But wouldn't optimizing workflow for the best possible experience utilizing what is already present allow for real and tangible feedback on your concepts while simultaneously discovering precisely what can and cannot be accomplished with FreeCAD as it exists today? This would also provide the potential benefit of allowing you to focus any coding efforts on exactly the functionality which is needed so you don't necessarily 'reinvent the wheel'. Either way, I applaud your efforts, I hope you manage to see this to fruition.
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

This is the workflow for creating and manufacturing simple machines and other similar products and which this UI is based around. Simulation may only be needed to partially verify the calculated parts using other methods.
freecad-workflow.png
freecad-workflow.png (9.92 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

This is a representation of all the files with their document structure combined into one big diagram. Assemblies, subassemblies, parts and external documents are separate files.
freecad-product-structure.png
freecad-product-structure.png (32.74 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
Last edited by Aleks on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.