My take on the FreeCAD GUI

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Aleks

Re: My take on the FreeCAD GUI

Post by Aleks »

obelisk79 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:16 pm I absolutely understand. But wouldn't optimizing workflow for the best possible experience utilizing what is already present allow for real and tangible feedback on your concepts while simultaneously discovering precisely what can and cannot be accomplished with FreeCAD as it exists today?
Creating mockups is many orders of magnitude faster. You can also comment on the specific mockups, which is intended. I will fully plan this out before even thinking about implementing it. Thats just how I want to do it, as I dont want the result to depend on technicalities.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I can appreciate your methodical approach. You're taking a more foundational approach.

I tend to look at such problems iteratively. If/when it ever gets to testing or discussion/debating specific aspects, I'll happily be an active participant.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Just wanted to be the nit picking guy pointing out the lack of a light weight file format in your scenario. ;)

Other than that I tip my hat at your proper approach on this UI-problem. Very good sir!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Aleks wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:55 pm This is the workflow for creating and manufacturing simple machines and other similar products and which this UI is based around.
Path workbench is independent from Documentation. It should be in a separate branch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

br4n_d0n wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:00 am So, please try to positively contribute to this thread or just leave because it's not helping us.
Although user1234's contribution is not a positive one, it is is important to consider which users will contribute their information.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:59 am Path workbench is independent from Documentation. It should be in a separate branch.
What are you talking about?
Guys please read the comments on the topic. This isnt about the technical implementation.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:43 am Just wanted to be the nit picking guy pointing out the lack of a light weight file format in your scenario. ;)
The diagram I showed consists of multiple files. It is more like an overview of the structure if one would combine all the files.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Aleks wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:49 am It is more like an overview of the structure if one would combine all the files.
Ok, roger that.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Aleks wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:40 am
chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:59 am Path workbench is independent from Documentation. It should be in a separate branch.
What are you talking about?
Guys please read the comments on the topic. This isnt about the technical implementation.
I'm talking about the workflow where you mention G-code creation.

Since "Create Part" is at the root of the tree, I interpreted the arrow as "has to be done in the workflow before".

G-code can be created without creating a "Part Manufacturing Drawing (PDF)".

This has nothing to do with any technical implementation, it is all about how it is presented to the user. If you want to create a new GUI make yourself familiar how it works or listen to those who know.
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

Ok, i misunderstood your comment.

The paths and tools used are dependent on the tolerances specified in the part manufacturing drawing, thats why it isnt in its own branch.