PR#4999 Group view commands in toolbar

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

PR#4999 Group view commands in toolbar

Post by carlopav »

Since the introduction of the Navigation_Cube, the user have a quick way to change the view. Therefore there is not the necessity anymore to have 7 view buttons in the toolbar to access the functions that are easily usable through the Navigation_Cube.
Grouping them under a common goes in the direction of saving real estate in the FreeCAD window.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4999

I created the PR cause I remember more than one request in this direction, and someone was writing that probably if it was not already implemented it was only because anyone thought it was urgent. Even so, I can't find again the conversations. Anyway I thought it was an low hanging fruit for my very bad c++ skills.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: PR#4999 Group view commands in toolbar

Post by Roy_043 »

What about the users who do not use the cube?
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

If they used the toolbar buttons and not the keyboard shortcuts, They will have One click more...
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Inconvenient for commands that are used very often.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

ok, got your point. Let's wait for other feedbacks :)
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Yorik suggested:
I have some doubts about this, because the very idea of having these buttons in a toolbar is to have them explicitly shown so it's a one-click to switch from one view to another. Given that the navicube can be turned off, this bar then takes all its sense...

I would suggest doing something else, then: Isolate them in a separate toolbar, so a user can simply turn it off. What do you think?
I agree this could be the right way..
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

is there a way of deciding if one wants it in a submenu or a full toolbar? In CATIA this is the case for several toolbars were you can choose the expanded toolbar or the collapsed toolbar (or even both if for some strange reason you wanted to). Of course, power users can just create a custom toolbar with those buttons if they really want them.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Perhaps having it in the submenu AND in an additional toolbar that can be turned off? So the dropdown also function as the Axonometric button...

prova.jpg
prova.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 2852 times

Edit: the measure tool should stay in the first toolbar...

Having a preference that change one only toolbar seems a bit too much for this particular case...
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

carlopav wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:17 pm Perhaps having it in the submenu AND in an additional toolbar that can be turned off? So the dropdown also function as the Axonometric button...

prova.jpg

Edit: the measure tool should stay in the first toolbar...

Having a preference that change one only toolbar seems a bit too much for this particular case...
Loving this solution. I think putting it into a dropdown might be too much clicking (thinking about a user that has the view-cube off and doesn't use hotkeys).

Splitting the "View" toolbar and hiding the actual views toolbar by default (leaving it for the user to turn it on, if they wish) would be an ideal solution from my point of view, because right now the default UI loads both view buttons and cube, which is overwhelming / disorienting / redundant.
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:47 pm is there a way of deciding if one wants it in a submenu or a full toolbar?
That's a really neat idea. I wonder if we could easily implement this for ALL toolbars, so it's a baked-in option for everything: full toolbar, dropdown, and hidden completely.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com