SearchBar (Launcher replacement?)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

SearchBar (Launcher replacement?)

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Re: SearchBar (Launcher replacement?)

Post by chrisb »

What are you trying to tell us?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Interesting addon, I see value in something like this.

In the comments someone stated they'd be interested in seeing such a thing as part of FreeCAD's core functionality. I think at face value that sounds nice, but it would probably cause some problems with newcomers due to some of the semi-ambiguous naming conventions.

ie. Part, vs PartDesign; Pad/POcket vs Extrude, etc. It may be worth a separate (and serious) discussion about addressing some of these things in order to mitigate potential future hurdles. Even a simple name change like Part to Solids to better differentiate between PartDesign could be sufficient.

Not trying to be a naysayer here, but it's already common enough to find people confused when they find these tools haphazardly, to give them the ability to search for things without understanding them could get dicey. But what the heck do I know... FreeCAD kicks ass either way.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:43 pm What are you trying to tell us?
It was a super terse post because I was in the middle of something but didn't want to forget to share.
Context
Launcher: https://github.com/triplus/Launcher
SearchBar: https://github.com/SuzanneSoy/SearchBar

Since triplus has 'gone dark' it would be nice to continue the work being done in this direction. Enter 'SearchBar' as a possibility for that.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

How stable is this plugin? The Github page looks quite ominous, warning for crashes and such. Also, what's the deal with right clicking and the info window? Apparently that hard-crashes FreeCAD.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Hologram wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:14 pm How stable is this plugin? The Github page looks quite ominous, warning for crashes and such. Also, what's the deal with right clicking and the info window? Apparently that hard-crashes FreeCAD.
Probably not very stable, as @triplus is not updating his page anymore.

And probably even the other github page is not updated to last changes done in FreeCAD.

As usual if developer don't find motivation or funding to improve code their volunteer efforts will vanish.

Lack of motivation and sometimes lack of funding, as some developers have even family and works to be done, are probably the most common reason that stop development in OpenSource.

It is time consuming even to update documents like tutorials and "guides", or even gave help in a forum.

See as example this forum, request for help and post that criticize FreeCAD are arising, even reading the "big red banner" that ask for correct informations about FreeCAD version used seems to be unnoticed.

When some helpers will gave answers, maybe posting a link to a wiki page chances are that who is asking for help ignore them.

Leave alone putting a [Solved] in front of a post, snd maybe thanks for help received.

So it is not surprising that some people that once was active on this forum have slowed down their efforts.

What is not clear is that here there are mostly if not only volunteer, no one is payed to help users, and only recently FPA has been created to support FreeCAD development even with some little funding abilities, and some result have been seen.

Kind Regards.

Carlo D.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

onekk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:16 am As usual if developer don't find motivation or funding to improve code their volunteer efforts will vanish.

Lack of motivation and sometimes lack of funding, as some developers have even family and works to be done, are probably the most common reason that stop development in OpenSource.
I'm not long enough here to know the names, but there are plenty of long-term active developers for Blender and Krita. But those are also more tailored to hobbyists they can certianly do professional work, but most people don't do CAD as hobby, I would assume. Might be an important difference.
onekk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:16 am When some helpers will gave answers, maybe posting a link to a wiki page chances are that who is asking for help ignore them.

Leave alone putting a [Solved] in front of a post, snd maybe thanks for help received.
Sometimes the wiki pages are not clear enough either, people may have first read those and get linked back to them when they expected something else entirely. I would assume that to be the reason. Or, they may have given up due to frustration (newcomers).

Compared to discourse, phpBB is quite a lot harder to use tbh. Reminds me of the forums I visited between 2007-2010-ish (back then it was considered modern). It is much less intuitive nowadays — phpBB didn't evolve much, but the world around it did. I am still having a hard time receiving notifications on replies, even though I ticked all of them on.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Hologram wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:51 am ...
Nothing is perfect, at least until computer will read minds, but maybe this fact will be very dangerous, :lol:

Sometimes I think in my mind I have to kill someone, or maybe I have to delete all these boring stuff on disk. So think about how an Articial Deficiency that could read mind will do in these cases.

Or worse, when I'm very bad in mood I could thing "I want to die" :lol:

As usual, as humans are more intelligent than computers (or at lest most humans are.) you could even use your intelligence to learn something.

I have wrote some documentation, and usually if user feedback are correct and helpful, documentation quality will increase.

This is could be time consuming, and even maintainers could have little time to do both, so every help is appreciated, reporting bugs and report wrong documentation or not so clear passage in documentation is an easy way to help FreeCAD development.

Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.

Hologram

Post by Hologram »

onekk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 am I have wrote some documentation, and usually if user feedback are correct and helpful, documentation quality will increase.

This is could be time consuming, and even maintainers could have little time to do both, so every help is appreciated, reporting bugs and report wrong documentation or not so clear passage in documentation is an easy way to help FreeCAD development.
Allright, I don't mind reporting gaps in the documentation. Where should I submit them?

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, I already started contributing by creating a new UI theme. Should be done soon™.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Hologram wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 am ...
Allright, I don't mind reporting gaps in the documentation. Where should I submit them?
I think here is the right place.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=21

Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.