Low contrast for "measure distance" labels

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fuser234

Low contrast for "measure distance" labels

Post by fuser234 »

I am using Freecad 0.2 (28793 Git), and the labels from the measurement tool appear as white on light green when the part or a face is selected. This gets even worse with the pre-selection highlighting (white on yellow). Early video players had a similar problem, which was is usually solved by adding an outline, but the colors could also be inverted, or a background could be added behind the text to increase the contrast. While I changed the default colors (the pre-highlighting is way too light), the faces sometimes take like colors due to the illumination and the problem re-appears. Is it worth reporting a bug for this?
preselection2.png
preselection2.png (7.09 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Low contrast for "measure distance" labels

Post by chrisb »

fuser234 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:29 pm Is it worth reporting a bug for this?
It's not a bug, although it is inconvenient. Before creating a feature request: Is this different with different style sheets?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
fuser234

Post by fuser234 »

It's not a bug, although it is inconvenient.
I thought there were usability bugs (accessibility matters, UX problems...), so it was the right move to ask. I will create a "feature request" instead.
Before creating a feature request: Is this different with different style sheets?
Yes, the stylesheets do not seem to apply to the 3d view in FreeCAD 0.20 (28793 Git):

yes.png
yes.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

OficineRobotica wrote: pinged by pinger macro
CC @OficineRobotica Hi, quick question, is this addressed at all in Link branch ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

CC @Kunda1 lol and this way I discovered a bug in Linkstage3. Mesure Labels are not displayed with experimental renderer.

Anyway, the color of the measurement line and text can be controlled in the ComboView -> View -> Line Color - > Text Color It should be the same in master
mesure.jpeg
mesure.jpeg (262.63 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Thanks @OficineRobotica. That screenshot looks amazing btw
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
fuser234

Post by fuser234 »

I saw that view after you mentioned it. I previously tried right-clicking on the line object and selecting "Appearance" -> "Display properties", but in that case the text color is not editable (the shape color is white and disabled for some reason):
mouse2.png
mouse2.png (28.94 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
In my case, I use the measurements for inspection purposes, so I never keep them around. The default color is always white, including the tiny mouse pointer. Is there a way to change the white color for all new lines and for the mouse pointer?
mouse.png
mouse.png (5.84 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
(screenshots taken after updating to FreeCAD_weekly-builds-28872-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64)
fuser234

Post by fuser234 »

It appears that the cursor colors are entirely hard-coded:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... .cpp#L3176

The default Qt cursor is much better because it is larger and has a proper outline (screenshot after applying the default CrossCursor and recompiling):
better-cursor.png
better-cursor.png (40.24 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
All other cursors in that source file to suffer from the same problem: they are missing an outline to be readable. I am still searching where the default white color is set for the lines and text labels.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

fuser234 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:00 pm The default Qt cursor is much better because it is larger and has a proper outline (screenshot after applying the default CrossCursor and recompiling):
Nice experimentation!

CC @chennes would you happen to know where to look for the default white cursor color?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

OficineRobotica wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:54 pm lol and this way I discovered a bug in Linkstage3. Mesure Labels are not displayed with experimental renderer.
Isn't that rather a known limitation? IIRC realthunder mentioned that some things like that aren't implemented yet