[Feature Request] - Add "duplicate selected object" in contextual menu

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeeJayOne

[Feature Request] - Add "duplicate selected object" in contextual menu

Post by DeeJayOne »

Hi everyone :)

I have a small feature request (All are in the title)

PS : Just below "Paste" as the same way as Edit Menu

Have a look on screenshots below !!!

FC_v0.20.0_FR (1a).png
FC_v0.20.0_FR (1a).png (156.89 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
FC_v0.20.0_FR (2b).png
FC_v0.20.0_FR (2b).png (178.87 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
L'important est de ne pas arrêter de poser des questions. La curiosité a sa propre raison d'exister
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
Albert Einstein
catman

Re: [Feature Request] - Add "duplicate selected object" in contextual menu

Post by catman »

good idea. What is a good key shortcut?
DeeJayOne

Post by DeeJayOne »

catman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:42 pm good idea. What is a good key shortcut?
I was thinking about CTRL+D but it is already assigned for the Display Properties ("Appearance" in contextual menu).
So, I don't have any other idea in mind.
L'important est de ne pas arrêter de poser des questions. La curiosité a sa propre raison d'exister
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
Albert Einstein
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

To be honest, why is there a function like duplicate? Never saw that (and never used that). I does exactly the same as copy/paste. I would remove duplicate, since it is absolutely superfluous (everyone knows CRTL+C / CRTL+V). At least it would only clutter the context menu.

Greetings
user1234
DeeJayOne

Post by DeeJayOne »

user1234 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:09 pm To be honest, why is there a function like duplicate? Never saw that (and never used that). I does exactly the same as copy/paste. I would remove duplicate, since it is absolutely superfluous (everyone knows CRTL+C / CRTL+V). At least it would only clutter the context menu.

Greetings
user1234
I use to use this feature all the time to duplicate sketches or bodies, I think this is very usefull.
If you remove it, I will be unhappy :oops:
Albert Einstein
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

DeeJayOne wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:17 pm I use to use this feature all the time to duplicate sketches or bodies, I think this is very usefull.
Sorry for my harsh words, did not want to offend anyone. At least i think it does not make sense in the context menu, since it is cluttered anyway. But you can easy make a shortcut.

Right click on the menu bar --> Customize --> Keyboard --> Category: Edit --> Duplicate selection now you can set you shortcut.

1.png
1.png (105.07 KiB) Viewed 1256 times

Greetings
user1234
DeeJayOne

Post by DeeJayOne »

@user1234

I'm not sure to well understand how to use the shortcuts assignement.

- I thought if I put an already shortcut assigned (CTRL+C, CTRL+D), it should appear in the "currently assigned to" text box.
- I have tried to put some different shortcuts (CTRL+D, CTRL+SHIFT+D, CTRL+ALT+D) but the "assign" button still stay grayed.

FreeCAD v0.20.0 Customize - keyboard - edit - CTRL-D.PNG
FreeCAD v0.20.0 Customize - keyboard - edit - CTRL-D.PNG (31.42 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
FreeCAD v0.20.0 Customize - keyboard - edit - CTRL-SHIFT-D.PNG
FreeCAD v0.20.0 Customize - keyboard - edit - CTRL-SHIFT-D.PNG (31.67 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
Albert Einstein
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:09 pm I does exactly the same as copy/paste.
No, it is at least in one point sort of better: duplicating a sketch inside of a body places the copy inside of the body, while copy paste places it always on top level.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
catman

Post by catman »

user1234 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:27 pm Sorry for my harsh words, did not want to offend anyone. At least i think it does not make sense in the context menu, since it is cluttered anyway. But you can easy make a shortcut.
As a single seat user this may be true. But it does not work right out of the box. From several years working with multiple installations (FC ist installed to every PC) I can say I rather learn new short cuts if they change (e.g. new recent sketcher short cuts) than assigning my own. Because in real life they always get lost somehow. Or you reinstall FC (one of the main killer features of FC btw) and need to do it again.
Currently I have such a case: I assign F4 to the transform tool, because that its missing a global shortcut. Subjectively I keep re-assigning it all the time. I am talking about 10+ PCs here.

The best thing about the clone function is that it avoids the "Copy" dialog. ;)
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

DeeJayOne wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:40 pm I'm not sure to well understand how to use the shortcuts assignement.

- I thought if I put an already shortcut assigned (CTRL+C, CTRL+D), it should appear in the "currently assigned to" text box.
- I have tried to put some different shortcuts (CTRL+D, CTRL+SHIFT+D, CTRL+ALT+D) but the "assign" button still stay grayed.
There seems something wrong. For me it works as expected. But as far as i know in 0.19 there were some issues. What version do you have?

catman wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:56 am From several years working with multiple installations (FC ist installed to every PC) I can say I rather learn new short cuts if they change (e.g. new recent sketcher short cuts) than assigning my own. Because in real life they always get lost somehow. Or you reinstall FC (one of the main killer features of FC btw) and need to do it again.
Currently I have such a case: I assign F4 to the transform tool, because that its missing a global shortcut. Subjectively I keep re-assigning it all the time. I am talking about 10+ PCs here.
You know that you can copy configurations? Depend on the OS, it is different places. Or you also can load different configurations from different places on the startup. (I use that, i added it on my starter, see https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Start_up_and_Configuration).

catman wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:56 am The best thing about the clone function is that it avoids the "Copy" dialog.
It still occur for me, it depends on the actual workbench/object. But the behavior is ident as copy (for me).

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:49 pm No, it is at least in one point sort of better: duplicating a sketch inside of a body places the copy inside of the body, while copy paste places it always on top level.
OK, it did not know that.

Greetings
user1234