Add new line and annotation to a drawing in Techdraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
antonio.bacciaglia

Add new line and annotation to a drawing in Techdraw

Postby antonio.bacciaglia » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:59 am

Hi everyone,
I've FC 0.17.
I would like to know if it is possible to add some orientable lines to a drawing made in Techdraw workbench because I would like to develop a new standard representation for additive manufacturing materials. To do that I've to insert a table, lines and annotations. Thank you in advance for your help.
wandererfan

Re: Add new line and annotation to a drawing in Techdraw

Postby wandererfan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:16 pm

antonio.bacciaglia wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:59 am
I've FC 0.17.
I would like to know if it is possible to add some orientable lines to a drawing made in Techdraw workbench because I would like to develop a new standard representation for additive manufacturing materials. To do that I've to insert a table, lines and annotations. Thank you in advance for your help.
Tables (via spreadsheet module) and annotations are available in v0.17. There is no "draw a line" functionality.

Proper leaders and drawable lines are on the schedule for v0.19.

A common work around is to export your drawing as SVG, then use Inkscape to add additional artwork.
antonio.bacciaglia

Postby antonio.bacciaglia » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am

Thank you for your answer wandererfan. I'll wait the new release!
vocx

Postby vocx » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:23 pm

antonio.bacciaglia wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am
Thank you for your answer wandererfan. I'll wait the new release!
The new Balloon annotations are now part of TechDraw. To use them you need to use FreeCAD 0.19, the version currently in development.

Version 0.19 will probably be officially released in 2020, so if you don't want to wait that long, you need to start using the development version now. Just remember, the development version changes quickly, almost every day, so things may change abruptly. However, in general, the last two development versions have been pretty stable and many users have switched to them as soon as they become available.

Announcement: TechDraw Balloons
Development history: Help on TechDraw source code
Icon history: Request help for new balloon icon
doubters

Postby doubters » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am

wandererfan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:16 pm
The new Balloon annotations are now part of TechDraw. To use them you need to use FreeCAD 0.19, the version currently in development.
Will it be possible to backport it to old versions FreeCAD (0.18)?
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 am

doubters wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am
Will it be possible to backport it to old versions FreeCAD (0.18)?
Sure, from a technical standpoint.

Not sure, from an organizational standpoint. I don't want to bother the packaging folks right now, they're up to their neck getting all the different release configs sorted out.

Once the release fuss dies down, we can look into what gets backported and how.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Of course it would be nice to have all the interesting features from 0.19 in 0.18 as well. But that's not the idea of a version. Backporting fixes is something different, but if you want new stuff like balloons, why don't you use 0.19?
doubters

Postby doubters » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:47 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 am
Not sure, from an organizational standpoint. I don't want to bother the packaging folks right now, they're up to their neck getting all the different release configs sorted out.
Doesn't the FreeCAD modular structure imply the development of modules regardless of the core?
chrisb wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 pm
why don't you use 0.19?
I thought it was always better to use stable versions of programs. Isn't it?
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:19 pm

doubters wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:47 pm
I thought it was always better to use stable versions of programs. Isn't it?
In general you are right. But over the past years I have seen that the current development version turned out to be at least as stable. For very short periods of time it can happen that things degrade, but more often the new version has received more bugfixes than the stable version so you can safely try a new version. If it works it's ok, if you find problems try the new current version and report the issues if necessary.
vocx

Postby vocx » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 pm

doubters wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:47 pm
Doesn't the FreeCAD modular structure imply the development of modules regardless of the core?
There is a small detail with TechDraw, and that is that it is developed in C++. This means that if you want updated functionality you need to compile the newest source code of this workbench, and place the new object files in the appropriate directory. I don't know if it's simple to compile this particular workbench alone. Maybe you'd need to recompile the entire FreeCAD source tree as well. So, that's the catch with extensions written in C++; they are still modular, but a bit of a hassle because they require compilation.

On the other hand, other workbenches like Draft and Arch are completely developed in Python, so you can modify the source code immediately, and the changes take effect when you restart FreeCAD. That's the flexibility that developing in Python offers.

As to why TechDraw is developed in C++ and not Python, well, that's just how it went. Wandererfan knows C++, so he did it in C++.

Somebody should rewrite the entire thing in Python. It's surely possible but not an easy or quick task.