[Feature #6309] Advanced section views in TechDraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

[Feature #6309] Advanced section views in TechDraw

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

TechDraw module is already great but, from what I've noticed so far, there's one big functionality that's missing from it making it hard to create full technical drawings - advanced section views. What I mean is that, in addition to regular section views, the following types are commonly used for drawings of machine components:

- half sections:

half section.JPG
half section.JPG (19.22 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

- broken out sections:

broken out section.JPG
broken out section.JPG (31.3 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

- offset sections:

offset section.JPG
offset section.JPG (42.49 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

- rotated and removed sections:

rotated and removed section.JPG
rotated and removed section.JPG (30.99 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

- aligned sections:

aligned section.JPG
aligned section.JPG (47.75 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

At the moment, these types of sections can only be created by actually cutting the 3D model like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg2szQ3xpAw

I'm not sure if rotated and removed sections are possible at all. Can you confirm this ?

What do you think - wouldn't it be great to have these section types implemented in TechDraw ?

I assume that offset, aligned and broken out sections would require drawing a special polyline on one of the views so that a proper section can be generated. The rest should be easier to implement.

Source of images: classic Polish book about technical drawings of machines "Rysunek techniczny maszynowy" by T. Dobrzanski.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
domad
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Advanced section views

Post by domad »

NewJoker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:43 pm .......
Hello NewJoker, hello to the Community!
I agree with you, here what you can do (even much more) now https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54499 :D
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NewJoker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:43 pm At the moment, these types of sections can only be created by actually cutting the 3D model like this:
This is how the existing Section works. A copy of the Source shape is cut by a prism behind the scenes.
NewJoker wrote: I'm not sure if rotated and removed sections are possible at all. Can you confirm this ?
There is nothing in the existing code to create rotated and/or removed sections.
NewJoker wrote: What do you think - wouldn't it be great to have these section types implemented in TechDraw ?
Yes, along with the "broken view" that has been on the wish list for a long time.

issue #4830
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

domad wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:51 pm I agree with you, here what you can do (even much more) now https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54499 :D
Thank you for sharing the link, I haven't noticed this interesting thread before.

wandererfan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:58 pm There is nothing in the existing code to create rotated and/or removed sections.
Do you think that it would be possible to make them using similar workarounds as in the case of other types of section views ? The only problem is that they are rotated with respect to the view they refer to. But maybe with properly modified copies of the model this could be done. I assume that rotated sections could be more problematic than removed ones since the former are placed within the original view. These two types of sections can be very useful especially when drawing machine shafts.

Thanks for the clarification and for creating this ticket in Bug Tracker :-)
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

Indeed, these kinds of sections would be really really useful to the company I work at. I know about that other thread, but the amount of work that had to be done on the 3d model to obtain that seemed staggering to me.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Feature #6309] Advanced section views

Post by Kunda1 »

Added issue #6309 to title of this this thread
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs