The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herrdeh

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by herrdeh »

I noticed one interesting incident - certainly it already has been covered elsewhere:

Rearranging the whole set of drawings works nicely. But when I shift one of the "other" views (not the center), after "save file" it will jump back to its initial position. Or do I have to shift it numerically instead of mouse-based?

Cheers,
Wolf
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

After moving you can set "Lock Position" to true.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

herrdeh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 am I noticed one interesting incident - certainly it already has been covered elsewhere:

Rearranging the whole set of drawings works nicely. But when I shift one of the "other" views (not the center), after "save file" it will jump back to its initial position. Or do I have to shift it numerically instead of mouse-based?

Cheers,
Wolf
There are two Properties that affect this behaviour. In ProjectionGroup there is "AutoDistribute" which is causing your issue. If AutoDistribute is True, the ProjectionGroup will arrange the secondary views based on their size and the values of spacingX and spacingY.
DPGAutoDistribute.png
DPGAutoDistribute.png (37.9 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
In individual views, there is "LockPosition" which @chrisb already mentioned.
DVPLockPosition.png
DVPLockPosition.png (35.67 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

Wandererfan,

as this is the topic right now.. maybe a presetfor this/that would be nice.So only at first build up of the page, it would distribute, then depending on the setting. I allways work without the auto distribution. Thus i need to go into the params every time...
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
herrdeh

Post by herrdeh »

I agree with Harry. I never met an application to change results when saving - and I'd like to be safe when saving...

IMHO, auto-positioning to begin with is really useful, but the laterly found position should be saved. A "LockPosition" feature could be nice as an opt-in.

My 2ct...
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

HarryGeier wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:18 am as this is the topic right now.. maybe a presetfor this/that would be nice.So only at first build up of the page, it would distribute, then depending on the setting. I allways work without the auto distribution. Thus i need to go into the params every time...
A preference setting for "AutoDistribute" was added in this git commit 2cc80b6131.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

herrdeh wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:51 am Is it possible to edit the size of the black dots, which mark the nodes of objects? - For my taste they are a little big...
HarryGeier wrote:
Preference settings for Vertex scale and color were added in this git commit 2cc80b6131.
ikua

Post by ikua »

Thank you for the awesome tool!

I would have some ideas for improvement of usability. I work a lot with annotations so lot of the ideas is based on drawing with a lot of different objects.
1. Move objects in a drawing forward/backward/foreground/background. At the moment it totally depends on, what is added first what next.
2. Add in tree the possibility to make parts in the drawing selectable or not in the drawing.
3. If you add a annotation and put the first time another text, change the label of the annotation accordingly to the begin of the text to find it easier in the tree.
4. Possibility to group parts in the drawing, so you can move them together by selecting everything inside the group.
5. Allow Hatching with multiple selected faces (add the moment you have to single assign hatches face by face, if you have selected multiples only the first one gets the hatch).
6. Use original line colors from model (see thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 3&start=20). That could be also really useful in connection with point 7, if you want to highlight some parts in an drawing.
7. Align different drawings to each other (see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TM2wXORQuE , minute 22)
8. Really awesome would be, if you could automatically assign patterns to the cutfaces of Arch section views.

I hope it is somehow of help to get input from an nope user side!!
herrdeh

Post by herrdeh »

I added some drill holes to my part after the drawing was created. Now in the drawings they are not visible. Did I miss a "re-render'" button - or is it a feature from the to-do-list ? ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

herrdeh wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 am I added some drill holes to my part after the drawing was created. Now in the drawings they are not visible. Did I miss a "re-render'" button - or is it a feature from the to-do-list ? ;)
No re-render necessary. Did you put the Body on the drawing or a feature? The former follows additional features tha latter does not.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.