The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm Would you like for me to post a screenshot of such a view? I could do that tomorrow during my lunch break (if I don't forget about it).
Yes, please. Not being a user of other CAD products is a bit of a handicap for me when it comes to figuring out how things should/could work.

Don't forget to eat lunch!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wandererfan wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:14 pm Don't forget to eat lunch!
LOL, you don't know me to tell me that :D
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

Can we able generate a shaded view image as bottom layer & above that our line layout so that we can use top layer for dimension.
Attachments
td view.png
td view.png (35.77 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
13.pdf
(374.09 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
12.pdf
(368.61 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jaisejames wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:22 am Can we able generate a shaded view image as bottom layer & above that our line layout so that we can use top layer for dimension.
That's what I was saying the commercial program I use at work does.

Could you share the FCStd file you made for these two PDFs? They look good!
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:01 pm LOL, you don't know me to tell me that :D
Lafleur steamies & frites? I'm getting hungry.
Ivanicchio

Post by Ivanicchio »

Hello to you all, good FreeCaders.

This is my first post here, so please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong place. I have some troubles with a (rather simple) model when I try to feed it to TechDraw. It takes a very long time to be processed, which it could be acceptable but, whenever I click or add a something to the drawing, TechDraw start processing over and over again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance, file attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9z3kr9pq1opo ... FCStd?dl=0

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.1.
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can set the property KeepUpdated of the page to False.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Ivanicchio

Post by Ivanicchio »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:26 pm You can set the property KeepUpdated of the page to False.
Thank you for the tip chrisb. I Tried it. It seems KeepUpdated prevent TechDraw to recalculate but when I try to add an element (a dimension for instance), that element is added properly in the tree graph but nothing is displayed on screen during the operation, so I'm still unable to use it.

I believe the troublesome part is in the top view of that inner threaded tube. Something happens when TD tries to remove all that stacked circles. Front, left and even isometric projections are fast.

Any other idea is appreciated.

EDIT: After a while tinkering it worked. Maybe after restarting Freecad. Hope someone else will find this workaround useful. Thanks!
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Ivanicchio wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:58 pm I believe the troublesome part is in the top view of that inner threaded tube. Something happens when TD tries to remove all that stacked circles. Front, left and even isometric projections are fast.
You are absolutely right. The OCC hidden line removal functions struggle with shapes like your detailed thread - lots of faces and lots of edges to check.

What I usually do with slow views like that is turn them just slightly. The projection direction makes all the difference. When I make a view of your shape from (1.0,0.01,0.0) it is substantially faster.
NutRawSlightTurn.png
NutRawSlightTurn.png (38.58 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
And welcome to the forum!
felixlee868

Post by felixlee868 »

First, I need thanks FreeCAD project and TechDraw development staffer. It is very important for designer who want let his working to manufacture in factory.
I think the development fo techdarw module need strict comply with STANDARD. due to the standard ( come from difference states and areas ) are "Language" which worker can be understanded. There need more coding working for more accurate display the part.

Right now, I need TechDraw can display "hide line" on perspective view and orthography view. I don't know why my part can not display hide lines ( After I setup use dot line display for TechDraw configuration

It is important for Chinese State Standard to display parts on page.

By the way. if I want add some function for the project, What books I need read? ( expect C++ and Python3 ? )

Thanks