Feature Request: guidelines in TechDraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Feature Request: guidelines in TechDraw

Post by bitacovir »

Hi, I was thinking, maybe a system of guidelines for TechDraw (similar to Inkscape) could be useful.
https://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com ... -inkscape/
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Feature Request: guidelines in TechDraw

Post by wandererfan »

Drag-able guidelines like inkscape look hard. A grid of horizontal and vertical lines on the page looks easy (easier?). Would that give you an 80% solution?

wf
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:08 pm Drag-able guidelines like inkscape look hard. A grid of horizontal and vertical lines on the page looks easy (easier?). Would that give you an 80% solution?

wf
Well, It is not like I am expecting TechDraw as powerful as Scribus.
Maybe a grid of lines with size graduation option and with a snapping feature... Yea, a replication of the FreeCAD Draft Grid and ToggleGrid would be nice for drawings.
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
markko martin

Post by markko martin »

Hi, in my opinion:
- Select one point
- Press the "guideline horizontal" button
- An horizontal guideline will be added to the View

- Select one point
- Press the "guideline vertical" button
- A vertical guideline will be added to the View

Then I can move view and I can align them.
What do you think about ?
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (123.14 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (141.55 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
image3.jpg
image3.jpg (138.46 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Loris
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

markko martin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 pm What do you think about ?
This is still the collection phase, let's discuss details later. There sure are some ideas concerning alignment and distribution of objects out there.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Does it make sense to invest the time in wirting a comfortable freecad-inkscape-communication instead of reimplement all that nice features of a svg editor into FreeCAD?
Once a communication exist we can benefit all the goddies of inkscape without more work.

For our shoe project we have decided to use inkscap as the drawing tool and freecad for 3D draft and assembly
phpBB [video]
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

microelly2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:04 pm Does it make sense to invest the time in wirting a comfortable freecad-inkscape-communication instead of reimplement all that nice features of a svg editor into FreeCAD?
here is the thread you opened, @microelly2 in regard to this:
connecting freecad and inkscape/gimp
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 pm
microelly2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:04 pm Does it make sense to invest the time in wirting a comfortable freecad-inkscape-communication instead of reimplement all that nice features of a svg editor into FreeCAD?
here is the thread you opened, @microelly2 in regard to this:
connecting freecad and inkscape/gimp
Thank you for this backlink.
If there is a common interest we can bundle the forces, :)
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Once a communication exist we can benefit all the goddies of inkscape without more work.
From the point of view of an Architecture workflow (as architect and thinking on FreeCAD Arch workbench), we generally take two directions:
1) For presentations posters with high graphic design quality, we do not use Autocad or Revit. We traditionally use Illustrator or Photoshop (or Inkscape, Scribus, Gimp) because they have the best tools to perform these tasks. From our 3D models and AutoCAD models we only extract renders and images. So, we can say these posters are for "marketing purposes":

2) But, we still preferably use AutoCAD (or Revit) to elaborate and contain all "technical drawings and CAD documentation" that a project needs for building process, permits, regulation, etc (and an architecture project needs many sheets). And this is because is practical and efficient.

I think your freecad-inkscape-communication work would be very useful for jobs like graphical posters that need Inkscape features to be done (first case).
But still, it is necessary to have in FreeCAD the features to elaborate CAD Documentation with a minimum professional standard. Actually, it is not necessary "Inkscape features" to draw CAD Documentation. But a minimum of features in the program to speed up the drawing process of technical drawing sheets would be good.
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

We don't actually do any svg editing in TechDraw. TD will export Pages or individual Views as svg for beautification in another app like Inkscape. That could be refined to use appl to appl communication.