Hard time creating a Detail View

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
silopolis

Hard time creating a Detail View

Post by silopolis »

Hi,

Writing this message because I'm struggling with the creation of a detail view. Whatever I select first (a part view, part view + page, an object in the part view to try to center the "focus"), I get a "Bnd_Box is void" error and "INFO - DVD::execute - testBox is void" message in Report view.

I have managed to make the error disappear modifiyng the anchor point coordinates (a pain to do BTW) which is always set to 0,0,0 by default whatever I do.

Attached my file in case it may be useful

Thanks for your help

Have a good evening
Attachments
UMN-HOM-Plaques_Plafond.fcstd
(29.65 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Hard time creating a Detail View

Post by wandererfan »

silopolis wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm Writing this message because I'm struggling with the creation of a detail view. Whatever I select first (a part view, part view + page, an object in the part view to try to center the "focus"), I get a "Bnd_Box is void" error and "INFO - DVD::execute - testBox is void" message in Report view.
The cryptic error messages are trying to say that there is nothing in the detail view. It doesn't have anything to do with what you selected. With the default values of radius=10 and anchor = (0,0) the detail viewport is right in the middle of the central "hole" in the sketch. If you shift the viewport over to a point on the sketch where there is actually some geometry, you will see it.
silopolis_detail.png
silopolis_detail.png (186.59 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
Attachments
silopolis_UMN-HOM-Plaques_Plafond.fcstd
(25.28 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
silopolis

Post by silopolis »

Hi,
wandererfan wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:00 pm The cryptic error messages are trying to say that there is nothing in the detail view. It doesn't have anything to do with what you selected. With the default values of radius=10 and anchor = (0,0) the detail viewport is right in the middle of the central "hole" in the sketch. If you shift the viewport over to a point on the sketch where there is actually some geometry, you will see it.
silopolis_detail.png
OK, got it, thank you masta !
The thing is that the detail viewport is not visible at view creation and on ly appears when moved (not even resized), seems it's what lost me on first try.

BTW:
- detail viewport appears as a pseudo square, whereas the detail view is in a circle
- would be nice to have an option to draw a line linking the viewport and the view

Thanks again
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

silopolis wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:26 am The thing is that the detail viewport is not visible at view creation and on ly appears when moved (not even resized), seems it's what lost me on first try.
I get the circle on the source view right away, unless there is nothing visible in the detail. I guess DVDetail should update the Source view even if there is nothing to see.
BTW:
- detail viewport appears as a pseudo square, whereas the detail view is in a circle
There is a preference for "matting style" (circle or square). Does playing with that get the two in sync?
- would be nice to have an option to draw a line linking the viewport and the view
Yes it would. ;)
silopolis

Post by silopolis »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 pm
silopolis wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:26 am The thing is that the detail viewport is not visible at view creation and on ly appears when moved (not even resized), seems it's what lost me on first try.
I get the circle on the source view right away, unless there is nothing visible in the detail. I guess DVDetail should update the Source view even if there is nothing to see.
Could help indeed
wandererfan wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 pm
BTW:
There is a preference for "matting style" (circle or square). Does playing with that get the two in sync?
Yes, setting it to square and back to circle, then reopening the file changes the viewport to circle

Thank you for your help and the massive work shared with this already great WB :)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

This message was changed in git commit 2a0c6513

It now reads: "DrawViewDetail - detail area contains no geometry"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

wandererfan wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:48 pm This message was changed in git commit 2a0c6513

It now reads: "DrawViewDetail - detail area contains no geometry"
Indeed unencrypted message reads much better. ;)

Thanks!