Print at 1:1 scale across on multiple pages

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Print at 1:1 scale across on multiple pages

Post by sliptonic »

My son wants to print a projection of a part at 1:1 scale so it can be attached to material and used as a cut template. The part is too big to fit on single page.

Is there a way to do this or a work-around?

Ideally, there would be a way to include alignment marks so the pieces could be reassembled.
Opus

Re: Print at 1:1 scale across on multiple pages

Post by Opus »

Are you looking for something like this: http://woodgears.ca/bigprint/index.html?
There is a eval version.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 pm My son wants to print a projection of a part at 1:1 scale so it can be attached to material and used as a cut template. The part is too big to fit on single page.

Ideally, there would be a way to include alignment marks so the pieces could be reassembled.
What you should do is just print it at 1:1 on a A0 sheet in a printer or plotter shop. When you print several segments of a drawing independently, they do not match to each other correctly later.

Now, if you insist.
1) You could use the archAxis tool and create a grid with some dimensions as a reference.
2) Use the Arch Section Plane tool on your object
3) Use Arch Shape 2D View to generate a projection from the section (of your object). And place it on the grid of axes.
4) Now, in Techdraw WB you can insert a View of the projection and the grid on the drawing page.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:26 pm Now, in Techdraw WB you can insert a View of the projection and the grid on the drawing page.
Interesting approach! Thank you.

I've got the section plane working and the Archview shows my part profile but even with the section plane referencing the grid too, it doesn't appear on the page. Is there some magic needed here?
tilescale.png
tilescale.png (45.68 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I think I figured it out. Missed the part about placing dimensions on the grid. Thanks!
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 pm My son wants to print a projection of a part at 1:1 scale so it can be attached to material and used as a cut template. The part is too big to fit on single page.

Use a page size that's big enough to hold the whole part, then export to svg and chop it up in Inkscape?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

On ubuntu I used pdfposter for something similar. IIRCC it was something like

Code: Select all

pdfposter -mA4 -pA1 in.pdf out.pdf
to distribute an A1 image on A4 paper.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Bitacovir's solution works pretty well but would be a lot cooler if the ArchView could just show/print the grid directly. Maybe there's an easier way to add dimensions to the grid but I haven't found it.