wandererfan

Drawing+DD vs TD

Postby wandererfan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Continued from here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 28#p261685
meme2704 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 pm
This is only my opinion.
I think placement of views is easier with Drawing
wf> I don't follow this one. How is entering X,Y coords, then modifying them if the scale changes easier than "drag and drop"?

With DD, I can place the lines of axes and change their appearance, and a line arrow for the text
wf> clear win for DD. TD has view centerlines, but their appearance is fixed. Still no proper leader and note in TD.

on the other hand, I do not know how to modify the appearance of the hidden lines in the 2 cases
wf> I don't know how to do it in Drawing, but in TD there are preferences for line style and color of hidden lines
HiddenLineOptions.png
HiddenLineOptions.png (122.87 KiB) Viewed 462 times
With DD we can add the tolerances = / - on the dimensions
wf> TD also.
DiamToleranceFormat.png
DiamToleranceFormat.png (17.89 KiB) Viewed 462 times
In the 2 systems we can not change the numerical value of the dimensions, nor the symbols like the signs of diameter, Rays nor degree of angle
there is also no option to delete the decimal zero
wf> in TD, the is the job of the FormatSpec and Arbitrary properties. See picture above.

This is not an exhaustive list
in attachment: the same drawing presented with the 2 systems
wf> I found only a TD drawing.

wf> I noticed you are using the "Coarse View" option. This is great for speed during model development, but for finished drawings it causes lots of short edges and extra vertexes from the polygon approximation.

Thanks for the comments.

wf
vocx

Re: Drawing+DD vs TD

Postby vocx » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Finally something new to add to this thread!

In this thread, FreeCAD 0.18.1 instalation, SamoZ mentions a lot of shortcomings of TechDraw.
SamoZ wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:33 pm
Technical drawing modules are basically all problematic because they are poorly following the standards (ISO, ASME) and have lot of errors. Correct dimensioning and symbolic annotations is practically impossible even in fairly simple drawings. In the TechDraw module, there are simply too many key shortcomings and bugs. This is a topic for some other occasion; I can only encounter most important of them, which makes the module seem unusable:
Some documents that describe the theory behind drawings are described there.

That discussion spawned this thread: ISO 1101: 2017 Geometric Tolerancing Standard, which has a link to the relevant ISO standard.

--------

Besides that, this other thread, TechDraw seems not to have sufficient projection capabilities, compares some uses of TechDraw Workbench and the older Drawing Workbench.
Roland wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 pm
I am attaching a doc that shows my efforts to use the TechDraw WB. And compare it with Drawing WB. Apparently I am not getting the TechDraw WB functional for my purpose.
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:03 pm

vocx wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:54 pm
In this thread, FreeCAD 0.18.1 instalation, SamoZ mentions a lot of shortcomings of TechDraw.
SamoZ wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:33 pm
Technical drawing modules are basically all problematic because they are poorly following the standards (ISO, ASME) and have lot of errors. Correct dimensioning and symbolic annotations is practically impossible even in fairly simple drawings. In the TechDraw module, there are simply too many key shortcomings and bugs.
I can't fix "too many key shortcoming and bugs". If you tell me "the arrowheads are wrong. they should be open instead of filled", then, that, I can fix.
Besides that, this other thread, TechDraw seems not to have sufficient projection capabilities, compares some uses of TechDraw Workbench and the older Drawing Workbench.
This thread describes an error that occurs in both TechDraw and Drawing. Not sure how that counts as evidence of Drawing's superiority.
vocx

Postby vocx » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:38 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:03 pm
I can't fix "too many key shortcoming and bugs". If you tell me "the arrowheads are wrong. they should be open instead of filled", then, that, I can fix.
Did you read the thread where SamoZ wrote his opinions? He provides some concrete examples of what he thinks should be improved.
This thread describes an error that occurs in both TechDraw and Drawing. Not sure how that counts as evidence of Drawing's superiority.
By the way, these aren't my opinions. I'm just collecting the information and making sure it isn't lost in different threads. For my particular use I think TechDraw is better.