tolerances and welding on techdraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: tolerances and welding on techdraw

Post by NormandC »

bestfit wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:09 am The way to define the welding on a drawing is driven by the ISO 2553.
No, it is not "the" way, it is only a way. Us on the other side of the pond more often use different standards, defined by ANSI. I wouldn't be surprised if other countries/continents had different standards for welding symbols (Russia, Japan, etc.), after all they do for technical drawings.

See this American Welding Society Weld Symbol Chart (PDF link): https://app.aws.org/mwf/attachments/64/ ... lchart.pdf

And https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... ld-symbols
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Maybe i'm making it to big/ broad... But maybe we should have a general location for preferred properties off that user. With default tolerance tables, welding norm, production tolerances (iso 2768) etc.

Since the sharing could be an issue i would say that it has to be saved in the file. Maybe a notion in the file if your default properties are different as the one saved in the file would help...
reox

Post by reox »

NormandC wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:14 am No, it is not "the" way, it is only a way.
Thats a fundamental problem here for all the techdraw stuff: getting the right norm you need.
Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:42 pm Maybe i'm making it to big/ broad... But maybe we should have a general location for preferred properties off that user
At the moment you can change all the settings to match the requirements of your norm, but I think such a thing would be very nice.
Like say: "make the drawing like in ISO / ANSI / ..." and all the settings are set.

That just opens up a new question, if all these norms can be abstracted at some level or if they have fundamental differences. For example, there is already the line groups feature, so if another norm than ISO defines something different you can simply swap the file.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

reox wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 pm Thats a fundamental problem here for all the techdraw stuff: getting the right norm you need.
Absolutely agree. In the current state, really no particular standard is implemented.

Long term, the goal is to have a "drawing standard" preference where the user would select from a list "ISOxxxx, ASMEyyyy,..." and all the required variations get set behind the scenes. I suspect such a list would never cover all potential standards, and some industry/jurisdiction/flavour would get left out, so we probably need to retain the individual settings to allow local "customization" of the drawing standards. Or maybe the ability to define your own collection of variations as a standard.

Now, where to find a document that shows the differences between various standards in a compact and easy to understand format? Or even which standards set covers say 80% of the use cases?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ISO is the International Standards Organization. In Germany we used to have a national standard DIN and that is still widely used. But it is always ok to use the ISO instead.
I guess that it's similar in many countries. Some may never have had an own national standard and have used an existing. I don't know anything about the distribution of different standards, but I'm sure right that many use ANSI standards.

FreeCAD is an international project and is used all over the world. So my proposal is to start with the ISO standard and add ANSI next or even do it in parallel.

There is one drawback to this. I see only wandererfan developing TechDraw. If he agrees to include either of the above he should get some helping hands. @wandererfan: tell us what you are willing to do and how we can prepare it, e.g. with a set of symbol images in a given file format like svg and size, perhaps accompanied by a spreadsheet containing the filenames and an additional description.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:37 am ISO is the International Standards Organization. In Germany we used to have a national standard DIN and that is still widely used. But it is always ok to use the ISO instead.
I guess that it's similar in many countries.
Most Europe standard organisations work prety close with ISO. Most problems are historical ones. I know from former company i worked that we specified iso countersunk screws. The most retailers sell DIN ISO(what sheul be the same nowadays) ones that it drive us crazy. Sometime we get curren ISO ones and sometimes we get the old DIN ones who are just a bit smaller. Which failed with sheet metal...:(
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Related: issue #1240 - Welding WB (which also includes Technical drawing symbols)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cinthia lizeth

Post by cinthia lizeth »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:37 am ISO is the International Standards Organization. In Germany we used to have a national standard DIN and that is still widely used. But it is always ok to use the ISO instead.
I guess that it's similar in many countries. Some may never have had an own national standard and have used an existing. I don't know anything about the distribution of different standards, but I'm sure right that many use ANSI standards.

FreeCAD is an international project and is used all over the world. So my proposal is to start with the ISO standard and add ANSI next or even do it in parallel.

There is one drawback to this. I see only wandererfan developing TechDraw. If he agrees to include either of the above he should get some helping hands. @wandererfan: tell us what you are willing to do and how we can prepare it, e.g. with a set of symbol images in a given file format like svg and size, perhaps accompanied by a spreadsheet containing the filenames and an additional description.
Hi, I'm new using FreeCad and I need your help. I wonder if it has macros that simulate the welding process in FreeCad or something related.
If possible, how weld seams are automatically placed in one piece. Thank you
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A year or two ago someone had worked on a welding seams representation, but I'm afraid this was not continued.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.