Can not select small holes if center lines are active

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
reox

Can not select small holes if center lines are active

Post by reox »

There was a question in the german subforum regarding the selection of small holes: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 78#p296166 (including a sample file)

There is a small hole in the drawing. If the center lines are active, this hole can not be selected, for example to set a diameter dimension.
It looks like that the selection box of the center line is hiding the lines of the hole.

As a workaround, you can temporarily disable the centerlines, select the hole and enable the centerlines again.

Should I open a new entry in the bugtracker for this?
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Can not select small holes if center lines are active

Post by wandererfan »

reox wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:29 am As a workaround, you can temporarily disable the centerlines, select the hole and enable the centerlines again.

Should I open a new entry in the bugtracker for this?
By all means make a ticket, but I'm not sure what you're asking for? No centermarks, smaller centermarks, non-selectable centermarks,...?

You can also adjust the size of the centermarks within a View using the CenterScale property on the View tab in PropertyEditor.

And just FYI, the selection area for a centermark is shown by the thin lines below:
Attachments
CMarkSelectionArea.png
CMarkSelectionArea.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
reox

Post by reox »

You can simply not click on the hole or the grey point. You will always select the centerline:
2019-03-24-143409_690x607_scrot.png
2019-03-24-143409_690x607_scrot.png (19.19 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Even with a centerline scale of 0.1, I'm not able to select the hole.

The question is: why it is not possible to select the hole when the centermarks are drawn?
wandererfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:23 pm And just FYI, the selection area for a centermark is shown by the thin lines below:
From what I see in the file in the german thread, the selection must be much larger - or is it a absolute value thus for very small holes it will overlap with the hole?
curiouscow

Post by curiouscow »

I bumped into the same problem just yesterday and it seems to be a regression. I was reworking a fabrication drawing that I had first made about two months ago and I noticed that I am no longer able to dimension small holes that I was able to dimension before. I can no longer select the hole edge no matter how small I make the centermark. It feels as if the selection area doesn't scale with the size of the centermark. Still, I am grateful for the workaround.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

reox wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:42 pm The question is: why it is not possible to select the hole when the centermarks are drawn?
Because the hole is drawn first, then the centermark and the selection mechanism takes the top-most object at the mouse position. We need to add a way to cycle through the objects at the cursor, I guess.

For now, there are some parameters you can adjust that may help. Bigger numbers make a bigger selection area.
SelectionFuzzParameters.png
SelectionFuzzParameters.png (73.93 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
The default values are:
"VertexScale",3.0
"MarkFuzz",20.0
"EdgeFuzz",10.0;

And FWIW, here is a sample of selection areas:
SelectionAreas_SmallHole.png
SelectionAreas_SmallHole.png (14.46 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
The parameters in the picture are:
"VertexScale",1.0
"MarkFuzz",20.0
"EdgeFuzz",10.0;
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We probably need a possibility to cycle through stacked items - as in Sketcher as well, but here it is not such a big task.
The fuzz is added to make selection easier, because on higher res displays it is almost impossible to hit just one pixel. So the sensitive area is extended to e.g. 10 pixels. These pixels don't need to be scaled. Then zooming in+select can be very quick.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.