Tech Draw minor issues, small feature requests

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dpettegrew

Re: Tech Draw minor issues, small feature requests

Post by dpettegrew »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:54 pm
The QtSvg module that we use to display Svg only supports the Tiny Svg spec, but according to this "visible" is one of the supported attributes. Not sure how the mechanics of manipulating attributes in the Svg before display would work.
I will look into that and play around a little. Thanks.

You can apply scale and rotation to the symbol:
RotatedSvgSymbol.png
Do you want to assign transforms to individual elements in the Svg? We'd need to implement an editor for that I think.
Yes, the idea here is I would like to be able to rotate the object that is the arrow independently so that the text in the bubble keeps a normal orientation. In my traditional .dwg CAD application I have always done this with one block for the bubble and one block for the arrow and aligned them manually.
In templates, the editable text is displayed in a 1 line widget, so we'd need to change that to a multiline widget of some sort, but this is probably "doable". Not sure about Symbols - the data entry is 1 line per editable text, so we'd need changes there.
It's easily workable without this feature anyway. For notes formatted as a list I can just include a quantity of single line text and leave lines empty if not needed. Any longer notes can be created direct in FreeCAD.
I think there is a skeleton for a Python workbench somewhere. The folks on the Python forum would know more.
Will check it out. Thanks!
dpettegrew

Post by dpettegrew »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:23 pm The only way I know of to include a Sketch in a View is to add it to the Source property. Sketches inside containers shouldn't be shown on a View of the container.
That is how I was expecting it to happen but that is not how it is working for me in practice. The problem here is that I do not want to see the path sketch in my view where the source only includes the parent part container but I do. Like I said I suspect it is at least in part due to a fundamental misunderstanding in how I should have approached this model in regards to parts vs bodies, part wb and part design etc... Since I previously had Pad002 within Body003 until I made the array but something about the references in the path and using draft WB to make the array it was removed from the body. I'll have to try to model that piece again and see if I can do it better.
Screenshot-20190405122520-223x145.png
Screenshot-20190405122520-223x145.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Screenshot-20190405122136-520x410.png
Screenshot-20190405122136-520x410.png (15.22 KiB) Viewed 757 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

dpettegrew wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:40 pm The problem here is that I do not want to see the path sketch in my view where the source only includes the parent part container but I do.
Any chance you can share your file? Might be a glitch in the code that finds the shapes that go with the Sources.
dpettegrew

Post by dpettegrew »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:49 pm Any chance you can share your file? Might be a glitch in the code that finds the shapes that go with the Sources.
No problem. Here it is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14MNQq ... qCtX-RYln3
dpettegrew

Post by dpettegrew »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 pm I know "above" is above stage level, but what's an "above line"?
Regarding these dashed lines overhead. I was certain I had seen this feature in FreeCAD some time ago but then I thought maybe I'd gone crazy. This feature is already supported here in TechDraw Archview sections. Properties calls it "Show Hidden" which seems a little bit of a misnomer since they are lines projected from behind the section plane and usually when I refer to a "hidden" it is a line in the same direction of the view but obscured by some other solid.
Screenshot-20190405202229-1920x1053.png
Screenshot-20190405202229-1920x1053.png (211.54 KiB) Viewed 725 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think the notion "hidden lines" is choosen well, and they even meet parts of your definition. The obscuring solid is just the object itself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dpettegrew

Post by dpettegrew »

chrisb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:36 am I think the notion "hidden lines" is choosen well, and they even meet parts of your definition. The obscuring solid is just the object itself.
Right, but what I mean is that is not consistent with the function of "Show Hidden" in the ArchView. Here is a graphic I found which shows this convention. The tank below the earth is drawn with hidden lines-- short dash. The roof line and the beam overhead are drawn with phantom lines-- longer dash. That's what I referred to earlier as "above" line and what ArchView properties are calling "hidden"
Object_dashed_lines.jpg
Object_dashed_lines.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 717 times

Here is an example of the more common use of hidden lines:
14320_Image1_OK.png
14320_Image1_OK.png (21.29 KiB) Viewed 717 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

dpettegrew wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:40 pm The problem here is that I do not want to see the path sketch in my view where the source only includes the parent part container but I do.
If I delete the original PathArray, build a new one outside the App::Part (proscenium-addition), then drag it into the App::Part, things work as expected.
prosc-addwNewPath.png
prosc-addwNewPath.png (8.29 KiB) Viewed 684 times
I think the issue is/was that your array path Sketch was a "freestanding" object within the Part, instead of being a child of the PathArray.