Possible to change dimension extensions in TechDraw?

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
benjaminwharton

Possible to change dimension extensions in TechDraw?

Post by benjaminwharton »

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit or remove extension lines for TechDraw dimensions, like you can the Draft type? I've taken a look at the documentation on the various TechDraw dimensions (ie. TechDraw Dimension Length) but haven't managed to find anything.
Attachments
ext.png
ext.png (136.89 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Possible to change dimension extensions in TechDraw?

Post by wandererfan »

benjaminwharton wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:16 am Does anyone know if it's possible to edit or remove extension lines for TechDraw dimensions, like you can the Draft type? I've taken a look at the documentation on the various TechDraw dimensions (ie. TechDraw Dimension Length) but haven't managed to find anything.
Not possible. Is this a commonly used convention (in Architecture maybe?)?
babaroga
Location: Banja Luka, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Post by babaroga »

I thing it is. For years, I was working in contractor business, you know, furniture for Hotels, restaurants, offices. From architects, you allways get drawings like this.
Screenshot_20190426_141534.png
Screenshot_20190426_141534.png (21.59 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
There is a file for reference.
Attachments
PRIZEMLJE.zip
(196.57 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
benjaminwharton

That's exactly it, I'm doing some architectural drawings to apply for a building permit. I have the layout and building done in FreeCAD already so it's simple to transfer it to a TechDraw page and add dimensions, but the dimensions look ugly with their long extension lines.

This is the sort of thing I need to be able to do:
plan.jpg
plan.jpg (289.66 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:00 pm Not possible. Is this a commonly used convention (in Architecture maybe?)?
Basically everything you can do in the Draft Workbench, in this case with Draft Dimension, should be implemented by TechDraw tools. As Yorik is an architect, most of his development in Draft was done thinking about architectural needs.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

benjaminwharton wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:27 pm ...
This is the sort of thing I need to be able to do:plan.jpg
Do you know that it's possible to add Draft Dimensions to the model directly, and then use Arch SectionPlanes, and then TechDraw NewArch to get the drawing?

This workflow is essentially what Yorik, an architect, has used since the beginning. It's kind of the most reliable way of showing floor plans and their dimensions. Of course, it is a bit of work because in this case you have to draw each Draft Dimension in the model itself. The TechDraw advantage is that it calculates the distances automatically, but personally I think this works better for mechanical parts than for architectural plans.

See the tutorial https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual:BIM_modeling
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
benjaminwharton

vocx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:02 pm Basically everything you can do in the Draft Workbench, in this case with Draft Dimension, should be implemented by TechDraw tools. As Yorik is an architect, most of his development in Draft was done thinking about architectural needs.
I've tried Draft Dimensions in the past but they never had the correct alignment when imported into a TechDraw page; although come to think of it that was before I understood how TechDraw elements are centered.

vocx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:22 pm This workflow is essentially what Yorik, an architect, has used since the beginning. It's kind of the most reliable way of showing floor plans and their dimensions. Of course, it is a bit of work because in this case you have to draw each Draft Dimension in the model itself. The TechDraw advantage is that it calculates the distances automatically, but personally I think this works better for mechanical parts than for architectural plans.

See the tutorial https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual:BIM_modeling
Ah that's interesting to know. I'll give that tutorial a look, thanks!
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

benjaminwharton wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:02 pm Ah that's interesting to know. I'll give that tutorial a look, thanks!
I just noticed that tutorial uses the deprecated Drawing Workbench. Of course, you should avoid it, and use TechDraw instead.

See this: Tutorial_for_open_windows#Making_a_floor_plan_of_the_building. It's basically the same procedure to obtain the floor plan.

Don't forget to take a look at the rest of the tutorials.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

benjaminwharton wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:27 pm That's exactly it, I'm doing some architectural drawings to apply for a building permit. I have the layout and building done in FreeCAD already so it's simple to transfer it to a TechDraw page and add dimensions, but the dimensions look ugly with their long extension lines.
I can add a property to control draw/don't draw extension lines, but I would like to have a selector "Drawing Standard - pick one of ISO, ASME, GOSS, Architecture, ...". Currently the individual settings for arrows, section line format, multiview convention, etc are all separate.

Not being a draughtsman, I don't know what changes when switching standards. Maybe a table?
Attachments
DrawingStandardTable.png
DrawingStandardTable.png (17.06 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:46 pm I can add a property to control draw/don't draw extension lines, but I would like to have a selector "Drawing Standard - pick one of ISO, ASME, GOSS, Architecture, ...".
Do you want to enforce using these standards? I think having the possibility of using them is nice, but the user should have the freedom of choosing the individual options that he or she wishes.

In particular, I'm not sure if there is an architectural standard, in the way there are ISO standards. I think when it comes to architecture, it's more like "conventions" or usual practices.