Improved radius drawing

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Improved radius drawing

Post by Jee-Bee »

True, my comment was more or less to the whole difference between ISO, ASME , ... .
tpavlicek

Post by tpavlicek »

Hi again!

So I went through the ASME Y14.5-2009 standard and now we are able to fully support it. Each dimension has a new property "StandardAndStyle" which allows the user to select the dimension appearance. Four values are supported in my draft:

1) ISO Oriented = straight line with the text tilted according to ISO 129-1
2) ISO Levelled = a bent line, with horizontal text above the reference line, as specified by ISO 129-1
3) ASME Regular = horizontal text, bent line with small reference line to text vertical center as specifies ASME Y14.5
4) ASME Inlined = straight line with level text on end, or inserted in the middle of line, though not crossed as ASME Y14.5 requires

Here are displayed all (typical) options:
Radii.png
Radii.png (87.31 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Upper left corner - ISO Levelled
Upper right corner - ASME Regular
Bottom left corner - ISO Oriented
Bottom right corner - ASME Inlined

The dimensoin look is also affected by the additional "Extend To Center" property.

As @Jee-Bee suggested, the standard&style of a dimension is saved in the document, though it can be whenever changed. To improve the user experience, the default value for a newly created dimension can be specified via "Dimensioning Standard and Style" prefference added to page 2 of Tech Draw user settings.

I hope you will like these changes, I've created the pull request: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2443

Should there be any problems or modification suggestions, please do not hesitate and share them!

Kind regards,

Tomas
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

tpavlicek wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:26 pm I hope you will like these changes, I've created the pull request: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2443
This is terrific, Tomas. Thank you.

Not to wish bad luck on you or anything, but I hope you become unhappy with diameters, angles, etc! :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is great!
Is there the possibility to set this in preferences too?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tpavlicek

Post by tpavlicek »

Hello,

I'm glad it worked out well :-)

wandererfan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 pm Not to wish bad luck on you or anything, but I hope you become unhappy with diameters, angles, etc! :lol:
:-D Yep, I guess diameters are the next ones...

chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:05 am Is there the possibility to set this in preferences too?
Basically there is new default Standard and Style user preference in TechDraw' settings, page "TechDraw Dimensions". This says which style is to be used on a newly created dimension. Nevertheles, StandardAndStyle is a property of each dimension, which is saved in the document and it can be whenever switched to other standard/style. Are You missing some kind of preferences/settings?

Tomas