My TechDraw templates (Slovenian) - GPL 2.0

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
71GA

Re: My TechDraw templates (Slovenian) - use as you please!

Post by 71GA »

Which one of the Creative Commons licence do you suggest then? To me this one looks great: "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)". IS this compatible with Freecad then?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

The non-commercial restriction on that license would prevent us from distributing it in Debian. https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

71GA wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:35 pm Which one of the Creative Commons licence do you suggest then? To me this one looks great: "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)". IS this compatible with Freecad then?
FreeCAD is licensed LGPL 2, which means code contributed to it must be compatible with this license. For example, MIT and BSD 3-clause licenses are compatible, but GPL 2 or above are not. The GPL licenses are considered too restrictive; see Licence.

In general, CC Attribution-ShareAlike is compatible. It seems that FreeCAD uses CC-BY-SA-3.0, but looking at CC-BY-SA-4.0, it seems to be essentially the same. So either 3.0 or 4.0 should be fine.

But you must allow for commercial use, as LGPL 2 allows it.

In any case, if you want to use a more restrictive license, GPL, or non-commercial, you can always put the files in a separate repository. This is how the Addon Manager works, it pulls files from other repositories. Since the addons aren't officially part of FreeCAD, they can use any license they choose.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
71GA

Post by 71GA »

I am sorry, but I can't allow commercial use of this material. This is like someone else is taking credit ($) for my work. =) So in this case it is either GPL 2.0 or CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

71GA wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:46 pm I am sorry, but I can't allow commercial use of this material. This is like someone else is taking credit ($) for my work. =) So in this case it is either GPL 2.0 or CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Being non-commercial doesn't make much sense. GPL 2 itself allows commercial use. By that logic, if you have at any point in time benefited economically from FreeCAD (a drawing or 3D model), that means you are taking credit for the FreeCAD developers (all of us) work?

CC BY-NC-SA means your files cannot be included into the main FreeCAD repository, therefore the title of this thread no longer makes sense ("as you please!").
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

vocx wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:29 am FreeCAD is licensed LGPL 2, which means code contributed to it must be compatible with this license. For example, MIT and BSD 3-clause licenses are compatible, but GPL 2 or above are not. The GPL licenses are considered too restrictive; see Licence.
Just to clear any possible confusion. This should read as being compatible with FreeCAD policy on licenses. And not to be read as mentioned licenses are not being compatible with each other.

As for the drawing templates license. If they would be upstreamed, using the same license, as FreeCAD, makes the most sense. Drawing template isn't an artwork, or only an artwork, it can be perceived as code too. If it's not about upstreaming i guess @71GA can choose the license as desired. People can decide after if the selected license fits their needs or not.

P.S. FreeCAD can be used for commercial work and GPL licenses allow that too.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

71GA wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:46 pm I am sorry, but I can't allow commercial use of this material. This is like someone else is taking credit ($) for my work. =) So in this case it is either GPL 2.0 or CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Please consider changing your decision. I'd suggest to do some reading about picking a licence for your work, before you post it here. For me personally "use as you please" is like Public Domain licence. Releasing technical drawing templates for "non-commercial" use only is a bit like giving someone a hammer with comment "not for nails" :D

P.S. Your templates look really good!
71GA

Re: My TechDraw templates (Slovenian)

Post by 71GA »

After reading this thread I decided that licence will be GPL 2.0. It is a wonderful licence and is kind of pushing people to the open source world. I think this is a good thing.