TechDraw Workbench: Adding two Sketches at once are centered/misplaced

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: TechDraw Workbench: Adding two Sketches at once are centered/misplaced

Post by wandererfan »

bgoodr wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:50 pm Ok, that is probably a "works as designed" result. However, that is not what I'm intending to happen. What I need instead is for both of those view's to be rendered "flat on the paper" inside TechDraw, and not drawn as if the viewers "camera eye" is off in the distance (perspective view).
What you are wrestling with is the "projection direction". Views start with a projection direction that mimics the 3D view (the camera eye). If your 3D view is set to an isometric view (view option 0), then your TD view will be an isometric projection like this:
2SketchesIsoView.png
2SketchesIsoView.png (79.76 KiB) Viewed 858 times
If that isn't what you want, then change the Direction property in the Projection section. If your Sketch is in the XY plane, and you want an orthogonal projection, then change the View's Direction to (0, 0, 1) so you are looking straight down at the sketch:
2SketchesOrthoView.png
2SketchesOrthoView.png (81.54 KiB) Viewed 858 times
This should solve your problems with inches not being inches on the drawing.

Obviously if you change your 3D view to "Top" (option 2) before making a View, you don't need to fuss with the Direction property.
bgoodr

Post by bgoodr »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:50 pm Obviously if you change your 3D view to "Top" (option 2) before making a View, you don't need to fuss with the Direction property.
That does the trick. Viewing the SVG result from doing the above (resetting my view in the model to be using the "2" key on the keyboard), resulted in what I would desire to see (and I assume this SVG file will print out (from Inkscape) on my laser printer if I have the printer configured/tuned properly):

Thank you and everyone else for the copious help!!
bgoodr

Post by bgoodr »

Circling back to a issue with coloration that I have, until now, held back discussing, and posted it into :

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40404