Section Face Format

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Section Face Format

Post by wandererfan »

bitacovir wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:54 pm Maybe it is possible change the Edit Section panel to something like this:
I like it. Look for it in a future update.
basmati

Post by basmati »

I'm having a problem that might be related.
I create a section but the result I get is not what I would expect.

I have two (wooden) parts that are being connected by dowels.
I create a section that intersects one of the dowels.

I want to be able to show the measurements of the connecting parts, the dowles, the depth and the diameter of the hole.

Two things that I would have expected to behave differently:

1. I wouldn't have expected to see the front face (cutout & holes) on the section. I think there is no reason for this.

2. I would have expeced to have a line surrounding the holes and the dowels to better differentiate between them or (even better) to be able to manually add different hatches to the three different parts. The way it works now makes it hard to even see (or distinguish) the hole with the dowel.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-12 um 10.09.43.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-12 um 10.09.43.png (49.05 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-12 um 10.06.38.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-12 um 10.06.38.png (60.39 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-12 um 10.06.19.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-12 um 10.06.19.png (58.05 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

basmati wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am I'm having a problem that might be related.
I create a section but the result I get is not what I would expect.

I have two (wooden) parts that are being connected by dowels.
I create a section that intersects one of the dowels.

I want to be able to show the measurements of the connecting parts, the dowles, the depth and the diameter of the hole.

Two things that I would have expected to behave differently:

1. I wouldn't have expected to see the front face (cutout & holes) on the section. I think there is no reason for this.

2. I would have expeced to have a line surrounding the holes and the dowels to better differentiate between them or (even better) to be able to manually add different hatches to the three different parts. The way it works now makes it hard to even see (or distinguish) the hole with the dowel.
Please, you should include in the post your FreeCAD installation details. Also, it would be useful to share the file. This way @wandererfan can understand what is the problem.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
basmati

Post by basmati »

bitacovir wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 pm Please, you should include in the post your FreeCAD installation details. Also, it would be useful to share the file. This way @wandererfan can understand what is the problem.
yes, of course, sorry!

attached is a file.

my Version is:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18714 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a7ad04ba4aefb486fbc5e7c68da3dd488443b08c
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Attachments
test_section.FCStd
(163.52 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

basmati wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am 1. I wouldn't have expected to see the front face (cutout & holes) on the section. I think there is no reason for this.

1) The latest version displays your section as:
basmati_test_section_Assembly_orig.png
basmati_test_section_Assembly_orig.png (244.36 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
2) The end view is displayed as:
basmati_test_section_endview.png
basmati_test_section_endview.png (6.12 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
I think this is closer to what you wanted.
basmati

Post by basmati »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:00 pm
basmati wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am 1. I wouldn't have expected to see the front face (cutout & holes) on the section. I think there is no reason for this.

1) The latest version displays your section as:
basmati_test_section_Assembly_orig.png

2) The end view is displayed as:
basmati_test_section_endview.png

I think this is closer to what you wanted.
This is great, thanks!
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Hi Wandererfan, I just have a question, is this topic of the sectional views done? I mean, does TechDraw provide the correct, expected views, and sections? Or is this still a work in progress?

I added this topic to the release notes page (Release_notes_0.19, TechDraw section) but I did not add an image showcasing the new behavior because at the time it was still under development and testing. Now I would like to add the image showing the original front view and some sections and side views. Do you have an image that can be used for this? Or should I create one?

Also, I didn't link to a pull request or commit hash that can be referenced. Can you pinpoint when the concrete improvement was made, and subsequent commits with small fixes?

Also please take a look at the entire section just to see if there is something notable missing. In the last few weeks I've seen small tweaks here and there, but they seem to be small fixes, and not necessarily a new tool, like welding symbols or centerlines, etc. Those are really notable results, and those we want documented.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

vocx wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:56 am Hi Wandererfan, I just have a question, is this topic of the sectional views done? I mean, does TechDraw provide the correct, expected views, and sections? Or is this still a work in progress?
The "point in the right direction/orientation" stuff is done. There are still issues with sections for assemblies and sections for parts with geometry errors, but that is a separate topic, I think.
I added this topic to the release notes page (Release_notes_0.19, TechDraw section) but I did not add an image showcasing the new behavior because at the time it was still under development and testing. Now I would like to add the image showing the original front view and some sections and side views. Do you have an image that can be used for this? Or should I create one?
I never made a proper before and after picture. I'll look for an FCStd file that illustrates the problem and run it through 18 & 19.
Also, I didn't link to a pull request or commit hash that can be referenced. Can you pinpoint when the concrete improvement was made, and subsequent commits with small fixes?
This is the announcement thread. It references the PR. Will have to look back for the small fixes.
Also please take a look at the entire section just to see if there is something notable missing. In the last few weeks I've seen small tweaks here and there, but they seem to be small fixes, and not necessarily a new tool, like welding symbols or centerlines, etc. Those are really notable results, and those we want documented.
OK. Added to my list.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:36 pm ...
This is the announcement thread. It references the PR. Will have to look back for the small fixes.
This is from November? I don't know how I missed it. Maybe too much going on around that time.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.