Enhancing TechDraw with geometric tolerances and surface finishings

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Enhancing Techn Draw with geometric tolerances and surface finishings

Post by wandererfan »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:29 pm What about such symbols?
If I recall correctly, Reox's macro depends on the symbols being available in a font. I could not find a unicode code point for Surface Texture symbol. In any case, that is a compound symbol with various bits of text embedded, so we need a different solution.

For a full implementation, I was thinking along the lines of Svg symbols with EditableText embedded, placed on a LeaderLine somewhat like WeldingSymbol.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:49 pm
If I recall correctly, Reox's macro depends on the symbols being available in a font. I could not find a unicode code point for Surface Texture symbol. In any case, that is a compound symbol with various bits of text embedded, so we need a different solution.

For a full implementation, I was thinking along the lines of Svg symbols with EditableText embedded, placed on a LeaderLine somewhat like WeldingSymbol.
Agree. Like the welding symbol.
reox

Post by reox »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:49 pm

yes, my implementation uses fonts.
But there is somewhere a welding symbol font, like this one: https://www.fontspace.com/micronus/weldsymbols
(I think somewhere I linked other fonts too - just search in the other threads)
vanuan

Re: Enhancing TechDraw with geometric tolerances and surface finishings

Post by vanuan »

I've created a Wiki page with all the information I found so far:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Tolerancing

Please look and tell if I missed anything.

Although a 2D approach is quite user-friendly and easy to implement I think we should strive to define model-based (parametric) tolerances rather than 2D symbols.