[fixed] leader line disappears when reopening document

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

[fixed] leader line disappears when reopening document

Post by uwestoehr »

I think there is a bug:
When creating a leader line, it is visible and shows the red color I want.

So this is what I designed:
as designed and desired
as designed and desired
FreeCAD_nifP9lHFdp.png (75.83 KiB) Viewed 1300 times

Then I close the document and reopen it:
FlyMiBird-Anpressplatte-gefraest.FCStd
FC file
(76.48 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

What I get is this:
after reopening
after reopening
FreeCAD_dVQaspx1hU.png (78.11 KiB) Viewed 1300 times

So the positions of the projections are wrong and also the leader line is no longer visible.
Last edited by uwestoehr on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: leader line disappears when reopening document

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:27 pm So the positions of the projections are wrong and also the leader line is no longer visible.
The second image looks like the views have been autodistributed. Is Autodistribute on for the ProjectionGroup?

I know about the leader line issue. You have to click it in the tree, then it appears. I've looked for the bug a few times, but no success yet. Probably staring right at it without seeing it.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:05 pm The second image looks like the views have been autodistributed. Is Autodistribute on for the ProjectionGroup?
Stupid me. It was on by default. I am not sure if it should be on by default. if the ISO norms recommend or even request this then of course it should be on. I don't know the content of the norms, so maybe my drawing is not norm-conform?

wandererfan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:05 pm I know about the leader line issue. You have to click it in the tree, then it appears. I've looked for the bug a few times, but no success yet.
OK.
A minor issue: in the tree view the auto-label is "DrawLeaderLine" shouldn't it just be "LeaderLine"?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:42 pm I don't know the content of the norms, so maybe my drawing is not norm-conform?
As far as I know the First/Third angle conventions only address the arrangement of the orthogonal views. So a case could be made that the iso views shouldn't be autodistributed ever.
A minor issue: in the tree view the auto-label is "DrawLeaderLine" shouldn't it just be "LeaderLine"?
Probably. All those "Draw" prefixes are a legacy of when TechDraw was Drawing v2.0.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:48 am As far as I know the First/Third angle conventions only address the arrangement of the orthogonal views. So a case could be made that the iso views shouldn't be autodistributed ever.
OK, so autodistribute could also be turned off by default. I vote for this since in Solidworks this is also off by default and I stumble over this regularily.
wandererfan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:48 am Probably. All those "Draw" prefixes are a legacy of when TechDraw was Drawing v2.0.
So we can get rid of them. I'll have a look the next days.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:20 am OK, so autodistribute could also be turned off by default. I vote for this since in Solidworks this is also off by default and I stumble over this regularily.
Default for autodistribute can be changed in Preferences in "General" category.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:50 pm Default for autodistribute can be changed in Preferences in "General" category.
Thanks. I did not yet notice this.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:05 pm I know about the leader line issue. You have to click it in the tree, then it appears. I've looked for the bug a few times, but no success yet. Probably staring right at it without seeing it.
Don't know if this is of any help for you. When loading the project file then relevant function calls are:
  1. MDIViewPage::attachView
  2. QGVPage::addViewLeader
  3. QGILeaderLine::updateView
  4. QGILeaderLine::draw
  5. QGIView::getGraphicsView
  6. ViewProviderDrawingView::getMDIViewPage
  7. ViewProviderPage::getMDIViewPage
Since the ViewProviderPage has no MDI view yet it returns null and its calling instances, too. That's why QGILeaderLine::draw then returns in the middle of the function, too.
If I disable this check (because it nowhere uses the "view" pointer) the leader line is at least shown in the MDI view, however at the wrong position. When selecting it then it jumps to the correct position.

The attachView function is called inside the constructor of MDIViewPage, i.e. before its assigned to the m_mdiView member of the ViewProviderPage. Maybe you should split the constructor into two parts:
leave the pure construction stuff in the constructor and move adding all items to a second function which you call from within ViewProviderPage::showMDIViewPage after the MDIViewPage is assigned to the m_mdiView.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

wmayer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:19 pm Don't know if this is of any help for you. When loading the project file then relevant function calls are:
Thanks for the clues. I'll try your suggestions.

wf
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Thanks to @wmayer's hints, this should be fixed by git commit 00c69a9c64.