Tangential dimensioning

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ajoeiam

Re: Tangential dimensioning

Post by ajoeiam »

PeterPNoster wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:27 pm Of course,

td_td_tan_line_line_sketch.png
From the perspective on one who's been asked (maybe too many times) to build something from a drawing I'd like to comment.
(Feel free to ignore)
The dimension really isn't 'useful'.
If you gave the length of the straight AND the degrees of wrap on the angular those dimensions would help the fabrication.
Giving just the dimension (length) as its drawn would mean that I would have to calculate the other dimensions - - - - without an easy way to do that.
Suggest that perhaps both ideas (the dimension and the 2 numbers that develop the idea) be included.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

PeterPNoster wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:59 pm Hello together,
Any plans to implement into the main branch?
Cheers,
PeterPNoster
Greetings to the whole community
Here is a comparison of a technical drawing.
The one with another cad is complete, precise and very detailed (it is also possible to define the interruptions of the lines that cross)
You can appreciate the dimensions of any curve taken in tangency and also the development of the arcs.
(I am well aware that some dimensions are not needed for construction, but could be used for other industrial purposes)
Attachments
tang2-b.png
tang2-b.png (79.23 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
catman

Post by catman »

domad wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:25 pm The one with another cad is complete, precise and very detailed (it is also possible to define the interruptions of the lines that cross)
Very interesting. Wouldn't have thought that the line interruptions do improve so much the readability of complex dimensions. I am sure its a hell of a feature to develop ;)
Thanks for the post.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

catman wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:48 pm Very interesting. Wouldn't have thought that the line interruptions do improve so much the readability of complex dimensions. I am sure its a hell of a feature to develop ;)
Thanks for the post.
Greetings to the whole community
Hi catman
…… here is another example of complete, precise and very detailed dimensioning (also in 3D) obtained with the free 3D software “pCon.planner STD”.
I hope the developers take this sw as an example to try to code this efficient and productive sizing system on TechDraw
Attachments
PC1.png
PC1.png (63.46 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
PC2.png
PC2.png (76.27 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
PC3.png
PC3.png (76.18 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
PC4.png
PC4.png (66 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
PC5.png
PC5.png (225.23 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
PeterPNoster

Post by PeterPNoster »

Hello community
I'm happy that the discussion continues related to this quite important topic.
A powerful dimensioning process will improve the TechDraw workbench a lot.
Here is a proposal for such a process:
dimensioning.png
dimensioning.png (216.52 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
reox

Post by reox »

PeterPNoster wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:59 pm Any plans to implement into the main branch?
This question comes up every now and then...
wandererfan wrote: ping
I guess that is a more general question how to deal with the shear amount of macros. Unfortunately, the macro system in FreeCAD is not that advanced to add buttons into workbenches automatically, and writing modules for each little macro is a bit overkill.
Thus, do you have any suggestions how such macros might get integrated into techdraw?
Having them in git is certainly a good starting point. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of great macros just saved as attachments here in the forum.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

PeterPNoster wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:45 am Hello community
I'm happy that the discussion continues related to this quite important topic.
A powerful dimensioning process will improve the TechDraw workbench a lot.....
Good morning to the whole community!

"The power and flexibility of Draft in terms of dimensioning "annihilates" TechDraw…" here is the demonstration.
There is no doubt that the "Create a dimension" tool should also be improved a little from a graphic, functional and editing point of view (the images are quite eloquent) but this does not detract from the excellent performance, in particular, also in quoting various tangencies....
Attachments
pdf_tangent.pdf
(64.88 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Draft_dimensioning.png
Draft_dimensioning.png (31.15 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Draft_dimensioning_3D.png
Draft_dimensioning_3D.png (39.09 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Draft_dimensioning_pdf.png
Draft_dimensioning_pdf.png (102.32 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
TechDraw_draft_dimensioning.png
TechDraw_draft_dimensioning.png (57.66 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
PeterPNoster

Post by PeterPNoster »

Hello together,
We have such good solutions for single problems.
reox wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:51 pm
wandererfan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:12 pm
reox wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:41 am @wandererfan: Was something changed with respect to the cosmetic vertices?
I can confirm that 20802 vs 20943 has different results! Looks like the coordinates are flipped.
Is the conversation between drawing space and coordinate space not necessary anymore?
getVertexByIndex() and getEdgeByIndex() now return drawing space coords.

https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 35&t=45705
I see. that makes it obviously easier to calculate the coordinates but now I need to add some backwards compatability :mrgreen:
thebighaggis wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:39 am
reox wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:48 am Yes, I updated it to the recent changes in FC 0.19 builds >20943.

See https://github.com/reox/FreeCAD_macros/ ... ef575ee125
If you are using an old version, you simply have to add the minus again.
Hi Reox

Very nice work very happy, I didn't realize there were so many tools, love all of them... :D

Cheers
Haggis
PS I don't suppose you know how to make the cosmetic vertex smaller? I've set the default size smaller
but I cannot find where to adjust the cosmetic ones :?
Could some one put all these solutions together into an elegant dimensioning process?

Cheers,
PeterPNoster
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please don't quote whole posts. It is time consuming to read and can be difficult to find out what you are referring to.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
PeterPNoster

Post by PeterPNoster »

Hello together,
Based on reox excellent work, could it be possible to implement the following dimensioning function?
The wish is to have the 'line - tangent - oriented on vector dimensioning possibility as shown here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p396922.

Cheers,
PeterPNoster